[Archers] Fletchers: Another painting of a man with an arrow

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 07:20:25 PDT 2010

Just a thought, is it possible that the pictures you have posted with
nobles holding arrows are nobles that won archery contests?  Often in
period the winner of an archery contest was awarded a "golden arrow".  I
would think that only a noble would have the money to commission a
portrait.  And in truth, making an arrow out of real gold would be
impractical even for an award and cost prohibitive even considering the
other excesses nobles did in period.  Just a thought, but it would
explain many of the questions about how one could possibly shoot the
arrow being held.

cog