[Archers] Painting of Man with Arrow

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Fri Apr 2 04:36:16 PDT 2010

Noble Friends of the Arrow,

I recently posted this interesting image of Antoine, the Bastard of
Burgundy, to those who had shown an interest in the proposed fletchers'
guild. All of you should have a chance to join in the fun discussing
this famous painting:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Antoine_de_Bourgogne.jpg
. The arrow has several interesting features worthy of note.

The fellow in the picture is Antoine, the unfortunately-styled Bastard
of Burgundy. In addition to being a Knight of the Golden Fleece (note
his chain and pendant), right-hand man to his half-brother Charles the
Bold, successful general, respected diplomat, and lover of a great many
women, he was also one of the finest gentleman archers in 15th century
Europe. The picture was painted circa 1462, shortly after Antoine won a
famous archery tournament a Bruges. If you are curious to read a short
biography of Antoine, try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine,_bastard_of_Burgundy .

Here's a question to ponder: Is the arrow one of those Antoine used to
win the tournament, or is it perhaps the trophy he received for his
triumph? We will probably never know for sure, but it is fun to speculate.

Should any of you find this sparks an interest in joining the proposed
fletchers' guild, please contact me directly and I will add your name to
our list.

At your service,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir Archery Marshal