[Archers] Clarification

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 07:20:39 PDT 2008

Marshals,
Thank you one and all for inputs to my last messages.  Let me clear up a
few misunderstandings.

Marshals scoring their own rounds - I fully realize that often practices
or events will be held with archery in which there is but a single
marshal.  There is also the situation in some groups where everyone
attending is a marshal, and this is a good thing! There is also the
major factor of trusting marshals, and I do.  My intent is simple, and
please understand it is NOT mandatory but a suggestion, as marshals we
must be above reproach, and I trust that you all are.  However, I am a
firm believer that if you assume the position you must also agree to
live by the expected standards.  Therefore as an archery marshal I would
hope that we all strive for a high standard of conduct, one that is
above reproach.  As was stated by my predecessor and I am in full
agreement with, this society prides itself on honor of the individual
and that is refreshing.  I am not suggesting that any Atlantian marshal
does not live up to this.  What I am after is that no one else have this
perception.  Therefore let me clarify my point in my first email.  When
possible, if you are the scoring/recording marshal at a shoot, have your
scores for each end witnessed by another marshal or other non-marshal
archers who are participating in the shoot (operative phrase here is
"When Possible").  It is really simple, as you are all counting the
scores simply say something like "That looks like a 22 to me, do you see
it that way?"  For non-marshals it becomes a training exercise.  Often
those shafts that are very close to the border of two colors are up to
the discretion of the marshal.  A little "group decision" on these is a
good thing.  For all shooters they get to practice counting scores or
witnessing a great end.  Example:  At Gulf Wars this year I got dumb
lucky and scored a perfect 30 at 20 yards.  I wasn't sure but as I got
closer to the target to retrieve arrows I realized it was true.  Every
archer on the line came over to witness as one archer from another
kingdom shouted "A score like that is never valid in my kingdom unless
everyone witnesses it."  He was joking of course but the score stands.
I am NOT mandating that if there is only one marshal that they can not
score and record their own scores.    But I will speak only for myself
here, I work out of my home office.  As such I get the luxury of
shooting about one hour per day, often more, on my home range.  If I am
out practicing Royal Rounds and get lucky and shoot a 160, I personally
choose NOT to enter this score in the data base as I was the only archer
present, whether or not my non-archer wife is called to witness the
miracle.  I strive to be able to repeat that miraculous performance at
an official practice or event (a feat yet to be done if ever it will
be.....).

So here is the executive summary:  Marshals may continue to score and
record their own shoots, witnessed by others or not.  I hope we all
strive for two things; conduct that is above reproach, and when and
where possible a marshal's scores are witnessed by another archer.

I hope this clarifies things for everyone.  Just remember, they are
watching us.  Let's all continue to maintain our high level of conduct
and continue the great job you are all doing for Atlantian Archery.

As usual, any who have comments about Atlantian archery or my long
winded missives feel free to contact me,

Christophe of Grey
Atlantian DEM Archery