[Archers] Some points to consider

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 11 10:56:50 PDT 2008

To all Atlantian Marshals, a few points to consider.

1.  Please remember to inspect ALL bows at all shooting events.  This
includes sanctioned events and practices.  Often times we become too
familiar with our equipment and others equipment and bypass inspections,
particularly at local practices.  Please include inspections as part of
the pre-shooting activity.

2.  If you are marshalling at an event and there are more than 20
archers, you SHOULD be using some sticker system to identify those bows
that have been inspected.  The marshal running the line should ask each
archer to show them the sticker to make sure the bow has been inspected.
Now you may feel as I do, that you hate putting stickers on your bow.  I
don't want my bow to look like a suitcase I've been using for 10 years
to travel around the world!  But use descretion and, if more than 20
archers, use stickers.

3.  Some groups are obsessed with Royal Round scores.  This obsession is
a topic of discussion I will save for a later date or sometime after you
have bought me lots of beer and we are sitting around at an event.
However, credibility of marshals and their scores is the issue here.  I
have had long involved discussions with several senior marshals in this
kingdom about this and what I'm going to propose.  That is why I am NOT
making this part of Atlantian Target Archery rules.  What I am proposing
here are suggestions I would like all Atlantian marshals to consider and
follow.

It is my preference that NO marshal score their own Royal Round or
Seasonal Challenge score.  If another marshal is present at the shoot,
then the other marshal verifies the scoring marshal's score for each
end.  If no other marshal is present then the scoring marshal's score is
verified by two other non-marshal archers who are participating in that
shoot.  In this statement score means the point tally for each end shot.
The scoring marshal is the marshal who is recording the scores and will
ultimately enter them into the database.

As marshals our credibility comes into serious suspect when we are
shooting on our home range and producing scores which are verified by
non-archers.  As marshals we must be above suspect.  I trust all my
marshals to be honorable and honest.  Let's not create an environment in
which this honor, credibiity and trust can become compromised.

4.  Please send in your event, practice, and quarterly reports so I know
what the state of archery is in Atlantia.

5. Get out and shoot.  Promote our activity.  Bring in lots of new
people.  And, above all else, have fun while doing it!

HL CHristophe of Grey

If you have comments about this content or questions feel free to email
me at cogworks at triad.rr.com