[Archers] Sponsored Shoot at Pennsic

Jonathas Jonathas at redfoxden.org
Tue Dec 2 07:46:34 PST 2008

The idea behind the bow categories was that each competitive team should
represent the kingdom as a whole, and I don't know of any kingdom which does
not have *ANY* flat limb bows shooting anywhere in it, or for that matter
any crossbows or any period bow in some form.  If you want to claim the top
spot you have to cover all the bases in SCA archery not just some of them.
I wanted to keep the teams as small as possible so that even the most
distant Kingdoms could potentially compete and win, while allowing the
closer kingdoms to have multiple teams.  All those years ago when I was just
starting and shot at the Masters targets (after "they" were done with them)
it was for the fun of it not for a good score(hell I was happy to hit the
backstop most of the time!).  Most people will be doing it for the fun not
the prize, but still wanted to have something to strive to win as well as a
challenge of some type.

I'm not tied to the categories, it was just the original idea to get this
thing started, and to give it some legs so that hopefully it continues year
after year, not just this once.  So given all that, what bow types does
everyone think should be required to *compete*.  Any combination is still
allowed to shoot for fun.

Jonathas