[Archers] Request input on bow inspection at events.

enequy at comcast.net enequy at comcast.net
Tue Jun 26 09:27:54 PDT 2007

When I am at an event and there appears to be a line waiting to get their bow inspected I will check with the MIC on the field and offer my assistance. When approved then I will assist in the checking of the bows. If the bows have been inspected and we are getting started shooting or have started shooting and someone comes up to get the bow inspected I will always refer them to the MIC on the field or their disignated helpers. Even though I know how to check a bow, I deem it improper to start checking without the MIC on the field or their helpers permission. Just a point of curtesy.

Enequy

From: LoreleiElkins at aol.com

Greetings to you all!  I have been thinking about an issue for some time now and thought I'd pose it to the list for discussion and possible enlightenment.

I noticed at a few events that when it was time to inspect the bows, some people said, "oh I'm a marshal I can inspect that for you." and the person handed them the bow.  The marshal was not necessarily affiliated with the event.  Not that I don't believe they are a marshal and it is nice that they offered to help, BUT, for the sake of "quality control" shouldn't they be letting the event marshals handle that?

I'm trying to think ahead to the events I'm doing in the future.  I'd much rather have a designated bow inspector than someone coming up to me saying, "oh so and so already inspected my bow".  I like the fact that we are a casual and tight knit group of archers and I love the fact that there are so many willing hands, but I also like things to be a little more organized when it comes to safety issues.  I know at the larger events archers need stickers so it isn't as much of an issue.

When it comes right down to it, I'm concerned about covering my ass.  If some marshal I am not familiar with does a shoddy inspections and the equipment fails and someone gets hurt and I'm the marshal in charge...it is my responsibility.

I didn't see anything in our written works about this issue but I may have overlooked something.  If anyone knows, please forward the information. Otherwise, I'm happy to hear other's input on this. Thank you!

Respectfully,
Lady Lorelei Greenleaf

Lorelei

See what's free at AOL.com.