[Archers] Period Bow clarification ...

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Sun May 1 15:55:38 PDT 2005

I have been asked to give a specific ruling, on a specific bow (bows) as
to whether they qualify for 'period bow' status or not.

Specifically these are a specific subset of bows sold by the merchant
'Bows by Kassai' ... often better known by the url:  http://horsebows.com/

Specifically the bows that they sell that are made of laminated maple
action wood, are to be considered 'Period Bows' for Atlantian's Period
classification.  These are made with wood (granted, a slightly modified
wood), but are made in a laminated style that would be period for that
style of bow.)   I will fully admit that these bows are border-line/gray
area under the ruling; hence the ask for clarification.   However, given
their construction and style, I deem them period bows under the clause
which allows for other construction techniques depending upon bow style.

The solid fiberglass versions that the same merchant sells, are NOT
period bows.

Thank you ...