[Archers] Revamp

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Mon Jan 31 21:40:23 PST 2005

Well, in my mind I don't think it would be appropriate for the 'rules'
for the RR to have links to various providers of bows in it.

However, you have hit upon one of those exact things that I am hoping
that these new rules help create ... knowledge of what is a more period
style construction bow, and what isn't.

So, to that point, allow me to add here a quick list of some common
examples, and reasons behind them:

Black Rhinos:
http://www.bows.net/blackrhino.htm
Are Longbows.  The tips are not recurved, and they are of a laminate
design (multiple thin laminations of wood comprise the bow, not a 'solid
core'

Sentry:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=8&s=34&p=0&i=2376
A Recurve.  It does not qualify for 'Period' in the grossest for being
solid fiberglass.

Martin Hatfield, and all bows like it:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=8&s=51&p=0&i=2392X
A recurve.  Flat Laminate limb design, AND site window cut out.

Martin Savannah, and all bows like it:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=8&s=51&p=0&i=2390X
A longbow.  Not recurved, but laminate design.

Moving on we get:

Anything from Woodbows.com:
http://woodbows.com/products.html
Everything they sell as of this moment, classifies as Period.  They are
sticks of wood, with perhaps a backing.

Bitter Root Bow Shop - Most merchandise:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20840&item=7119254605
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20840&item=7118676460
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20839&item=7116918560
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20840&item=7131397125
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20840&item=7131254184
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20840&item=7131146165
These items sold by Bitter Root all qualify as Period, again, solid
cores of wood with perhaps a backing.  Longbow or Recurve style doesn't
matter, they are all Period.

Ahh, a good example now perhaps, three different styles of bows from one
Vender ... baronbows.com .... they offer:
Period: http://www.baronbows.com/baron/baron.htm
Longbow: http://www.baronbows.com/baron/yeoman.htm
Recurve: http://www.baronbows.com/baron/knight.htm

Also I should add the following clarification images on crossbows ...
These are the styles of stocks that we are talking about not being allowed:
Pistol grips: http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/trident2.jpg
Rifle stock A: http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/images/rx150.jpg
Rifle Stock B: http://www.barnettcrossbows-uk.com/images/wildcatiii.gif
Rifle Stock C: http://www.ausbow.com.au/vixenT.jpg