[Archers] Classification Revamp

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Fri Jan 28 06:22:35 PST 2005

> I've made small grammar corrections.

Thanks.

> However, how about making b.3 a
> category all its own - period hand bows constructed in a period manner, made
> of materials that existed in period.

I do like this idea, but I think that it might be best left for a future
revision of the categories.  If enough people are using 'both types' of
period-ish bows to justify it.

I don't want to be just making categories for categories sake.  And end
up (like An Tir), with 9+ categories, that I'm sure some would only have
a few scores in.

>     I would also make this category second in priority
> only to crossbows, thus emphasizing an interest in 'authenticity'.  This
> way, period bows (crossbows and period hand bows) would have the highest
> precedence; period-looking bows second; and all others third.

Barre, please realize that the 'precedence' and/or 'priority' does not
MEAN anything.  It's just a way the rules are written.  A 'Start reading
down this list and as soon as you find a description that matches your
bow, stop'.   This is to ensure, for example, that someone with a bow
that classifies as Period, counts it as Period, and not a Recurve.

That is all.  There is no designed or implied 'meaning' behind what
happens to be on top the list or not.

Listing Crossbow/Period/Longbow/Recurve was just a simpler method.
Otherwise, for example, to put Crossbow at the bottom of the list, each
previous category would have to add: "And not a crossbow" in it's
description.  It's easier to list crossbow first and get that taken care
of since it's the clearest/simplist category to define.

> Also, how about moving the statement 'only allowing moderate
> changes for modern safety' up to the first paragraph, so it can apply to all
> succeeding sub-paragraphs.

If I understand your statement correctly, to move it up to the
introductory paragraph of section 8 ... I think this would be
problematic ... since it would immediately be against, for example, most
bows that will be fitting into the Recurve (and Longbow) categories
(such as the typical flat-limb, sight-window, recurves), many of which
while much more primitive than a modern compound bow, are in fact not of
period design, and therefore don't just have 'moderate changes for
modern safety concerns'