[Archers] New Bow Classification (Period)

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Tue Jan 25 08:12:18 PST 2005

> Just me being picky

Picky is good.

> - hand bows have the word 'legal' in their definitions,
> why doesn't crossbow?  I'd have to check, but are all modern crossbows made
> with a rifle stock?

Pretty dern 99.9% of them.

>  Could you have a pistol grip and tripper on a period
> crossbow?

Oh, ummm, good catch, I will need to add: 'Nor pistol grip'

>  There used to be a law (at least in the Outlands) that you could
> use a modern crossbow as long as any cutouts were covered, to present a more
> period look.  Never did see anyone do that, though.

Well, you've hit the nose on the head there.  SCA rules currently allow
any crossbow, as long as any holes in it's sides have been covered up.
This has led to people skirting the 'intent' of the rules (Head up to
the range at Pennsic), and using quite modern crossbows that look almost
nothing like a period weapon.

While this has not been the case in Atlantia, yet, we'd like to keep it
that way, by going ahead and saying that they won't be allowed, while
noone (or I should say almost noone, there have been a few distinct
folks speaking up) currently use them.

> I see the cross bow has the highest level of precedence. ;>}

Easier to write the rule that way - If crossbow, stop here, do not pass
go.  As opposed to having all the 'bow' descriptions say: 'And not a
crossbow'

> It seems to me that period hand bows shouldn't have laminations that are
> modern material (like fiberglass).

Already hit on this one, but will again.  The idea was that it would be
allowed, due to safety & availability.

Though I am open to changing that if enough people feel otherwise.