[Archers] New Bow Classification (Period)

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Mon Jan 24 14:14:37 PST 2005

> Just for general discussion, here are some thoughts.  By definition my fancy
> modern longbow could be classed as a period bow.  It is 1/8 inch off
> centercut and the core is of wood.

Would it?  Think carefully; however I don't QUITE remember your bow exactly.

However, is it similar to this one in style/construction?
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=8&s=16&p=0&i=20931X

If so, then no, it doesn't pass.  Realize that the phrasing used was 'a
wood core, allowing a single backing and/or belly lamination'.

That means that a modern laminate style longbow, as per that link, does
not qualify.  It must be a stick, with an allowed backing and/or belly lam.

>  Laminations of wood I would allow
> since many of the best bow woods tend to be somewhat expensive such as yew
> and Osage.

True, hence why a single lamination, on either (or both) sides of the
bow was allowed.  It is also allowed in any material, partially from the
aspect of allowing substitutions (ie, fiberglass as a substitution for
period horn).  Also from a slight conceed to allowing things to be a bit
easier.  A bow with a single thin fiberglass lamination, shoots
nominally like one with a single horn lamination.  From 10ft away it can
be impossible to tell the difference visually.  Yet the fiberglass bows
can be much simpler to obtain.

Similarly would fall things such as the woodbows.com bows, which have a
linen cloth backing.

> I would further state that a period bow should replicate some
> existing historical bow.  Here is where is would get tricky;
> [snip]
> I would stick with a definition that requires a period bow to be true to a
> historical type.

This gets really tricky to my mind.  Trying to implement that,
specifically, would make suddenly every marshal need to be a scholar on
all types of period bows, from all cultures, during the 16th century
back to pre-history.  And having folks get in arguments on the shooting
line about the fact that in fact that is a period bow, and the marshal
saying that it isn't.

Nope, don't like it.

Hence why the wording was brought up the way that it currently was.  The
main driving force here, is to get more people shooting bows that look
period, that look primitive, and to encourage, and call out, those that do.

Whether it is a Mongolian Recurve, ELB, Roman Composite Recurve, or a
Native American Flatbow.

(And yes, before it is asked, by the very vague way that the SCA rules
are written, Native Americans are 'SCA-Period', as they were known in
the 16th century to the courts of Europe, and in fact visited.  AND, I
know at least 1 person in the SCA with a Native American Persona)

>  Perhaps if
> our period category became a source of pride for archers who are trying to
> reproduce historical equipment.  Their target accomplishments would then be
> ancillary to the interest and pride in their equipment.

I agree.  At the same time though, I (and some other marshals), don't
want it to become SO exclusive that noone is shooting in that category
because there are only 2-3 bows that meet the category in Atlantia :)

At that point, it has defeated the purpose of encouraging folks to move
more period, because they had to jump from what they had to extremely
period.

Also note, this can always be changed in the future, and I expect this
category, over the next (bear with me) decade+ to end up
changing/growing/etc.

Thanks for the comments ...
NEXT!