[Archers] New Bow Classification (Period)

Peter Darby pjdarby at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 16:04:00 PST 2005

Just for general discussion, here are some thoughts.  By definition my fancy
modern longbow could be classed as a period bow.  It is 1/8 inch off
centercut and the core is of wood.  To me a period bow would be any that
could have been produced five or six hundred years ago.   It should be a bow
that anyone with some basic tools could make. (i.e ELB, wooden recurve, and
of course for those people especially talented or with a lot of time on
their hands a horns, sinew and wood bow.)  Laminations of wood I would allow
since many of the best bow woods tend to be somewhat expensive such as yew
and Osage. I would further state that a period bow should replicate some
existing historical bow.  Here is where is would get tricky; I would
disallow a period bow if the bow had been modified from what we know to have
existed in period.  For example an ELB with a cut in shelf or a Turkish bow
with a built up shelf.

I would stick with a definition that requires a period bow to be true to a
historical type.  If you try to put specific dimensions on a bow you will
have people who will look for ways to get a better shooting bow by skirting
the rules.  I.E.  Most modern longbows are cut only 1/8 inch off center so
traditional archers can shoot in longbow competitions since most trad.
events don't allow centercut longbows in the longbow category.  Perhaps if
our period category became a source of pride for archers who are trying to
reproduce historical equipment.  Their target accomplishments would then be
ancillary to the interest and pride in their equipment.

Colum