[Archers] Unevent Wrap-up ...

Siegfried Sebastian Faust crossbow at freeshell.org
Mon Dec 6 07:26:21 PST 2004

Greetings unto all archers.  Here is a quick writeup of what transpired at
the Target Archery Unevent meeting (In no real order):

* We have started a new idea of having another 'officially Kingdom
sponsored' archery shoot, like the Royal Round is.  However, this shoot
will change regularly and will be decided by the Kingdom Target Archery
Marshal.  It will be a 'best score' type shoot like the IKAC, instead of an
average like the RR.  We are calling this the Seasonal Challenge, and the
first season of it will be from January 1st to July 31st.  For full
details, please see the following page at the Kingdom Scorekeeper's
website: INSERT HERE

* A quick note if you didn't know, you can request a login to the Kingdom
Scorekeeper's website to allow you as a marshal to quickly enter scores
directly into the database.

* Another quick note.  Baron Jonathas (The Kingdom Scorekeeper's Sysadmin),
has created a Palm application to allow you to keep Royal Round scores on
it, and direcly upload them to the Scorekeeper website.  NOTE: It does
require you be a techie to install it, or have access to a techie, as it
requires some configuration information to be edited.

* A reminder as to the procedure when you are not 'in charge' at an event,
but see a problem that needs addressed.  Problems should be brought to the
Marshal running the range/list, then to the MiC-Activity for the event,
then to the MiC-Event.  Beyond that, only regional deputies, Kingdom
Marshals, and Royalty have the right to override the MiC-Event.  If any
activities are being pulled or rulings being made, make SURE that they
transition back down the chain and everyone knows what decision was made,
and who made it.  Also, please note that the local group's Knight Marshal
has no special powers at that group's events if not MiC-Event or
MiC-Activity.  Finally please make sure that if you happen to be the
MiC-Event, and you make a decision on an activity that you are NOT an
authorized marshal for, that you have a REALLY good reason.

* Changes to Royal Round rules, effective as of December 3rd
- You no longer need to be at an official event or SCA Practice to score
RR's, any time you are shooting archery and have an authorized Atlantian
Marshal, you can score RR's (IE, just like the Winter Round)
- The Archer ranking will be changed from 0-40 to 20-40.  Those archers
with 3 scores in the system but under a score of 20 will be referred to as
Novice, and will have no badge.  This hopefully will give some more meaning
to the Archer classification.

* 4th quarter reports due by Dec 10th

* Clarifications to Standard Atlantian 'Practice' that currently are not in
Society, nor Atlantian rules.  However, expect to potentially see these
clarified in one of those sets of rules in the near future (SCA is looking
at updating some of these things):
-- We prefer to see all bows inspected by a marshal at Events & Practices
-- We prefer to not have disallowed equipment, allowed temporarily for a
new person, etc, allowed to actually compete in a competition.  Practice, sure.
-- Compound/Breakcock/Centershot crossbows, we prefer not to see any of
these at practices, and definately not at events nor in competition.
-- Archery netting should not be used to 'reduce' safety ranges.  It is a
nice thing for archers to find their arrows easily, it does not increase
safety.
-- The ruling is badly worded at SCA level; however, SCA rules do not allow
bows to be carried downrange.

* There were then 2 topics brought up for discussion:

-- The possibility of making a rule against modern rifle or air-rifle
styled stock was discussed.  Many good points were brought up.  Most
everyone seemed to agree that this would be a good idea; however, there was
some dissention about how best to accomplish and/or word this.  More
discussion will take place among myself and my deputies about
this.   Please if you have any comments feel free to send them to me.

-- Finally the idea of adding an additional division to the Royal Round was
discussed, a 'Period Handbow' division.  This would e be a specific
division meant for those folks who are shooting truly period bows where the
power of the bow comes from a core of wood.  While the specifics of the
wording on this would require a little bit of modification, the basic idea
is to allow bows with a core of wood, a backing, not center-cut,
etc.  Everyone seemed to like the idea greatly, and more dicussion will
ensue to work on wording to get it simple, yet exact and
non-confusing.  More on this later.

In service,

THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust                         http://crossbows.biz/
Barony of Highland Foorde           Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
Kingdom of Atlantia          Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org/   http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/