[Archers] Clarification on Waiver Rule?

Siegfried Sebastian Faust eliwhite at adelphia.net
Tue May 14 16:06:36 PDT 2002

Ignacio ... Can we get a clarification on this new rule that was brought up
at Unevent (which I wasn't at), and I have only heard a few rumblings about.

The one that says that archers need to sign in with the MOL at an event to
be covered by the SCA insurance?

Because it leaves a number of repercussions/questions open:

A) Do they HAVE to sign in?  Or only if they WANT covered ... ie ... do
they have a choice?  (Which is how I first heard the rule mentioned to me.)

B) If this is true, this like Heavy/Rapier, this will extend to local
archery practices, where the marshal will have to start checking blue
cards, or, as at least many practices I have seen, start having blanket
waiver sheets for everyone to sign, and then the archery marshal will have
to keep all of those sheets on record.

C) Also, if required to do this - Archery stops being a 'free'
activity.  You either have to be a member, or pay a buck each event you
wanna shoot.  Makes it lose some of it's: "Come on, anyone can do it" appeal.

D) And most of all, I think this could end up being carried to it's final
logical conclusion, that instead just EVERYONE should have to show their
blue card when checking into troll, or pay a buck.  You see, if the archers
aren't covered if they don't sign, then the stander-by who is watching the
archery & maybe is more of a safety risk than the archers.  Nor is the cook
in the kitchen, the bard, etc.  I always understood the fighters signing
the waiver not to be an insurance thing, but a 'them admitting legally that
they understand they were doing something dangerous'.  Well, personally, I
feel often that an archery spectator is in just as 'dangerous' position as
an archer (to whatever levels of danger are already involved).  And in my
experience, cooking a feast is MUCH more dangerous :)