[Archers] FW: My take on the rules.

Skidmore Robert tuathaan at mindspring.com
Thu May 2 05:42:24 PDT 2002

Hello all,
    I have snipped out a good bit of Ruperts comments but what I have left I
FULLY agree with and think is an OUTSTANDING idea. Especially for updating
current marshals in rural areas like here in the South East.
I am still in favor of the MIT program as it is currently set up because in
involves good initial communication between experienced marshals and newer
people. Especially when dealing with paper work. It also lets archers see
the " new guy/gal" and recognize hi/her as a marshal for abuse.. uhh.. use
later.
I am still in favor of an initial class at universities and collegiums for
MIT's because it keeps archery in the educational light which the SCA is a
part of. and helps with the above concerning paperwork and ID of new
marshals.
Hand straps and bow markings....I see both ends of the argument and to me it
all seems to boil down to the idea of keeping an even playing field for all
as far as scores are concern. Personally.. I got into archery and still
enjoy it for the individual challenge( me , the bow, and the target).. not
competition with my friends. What an individual does is his business and a
reflection on his/her personal honor when it comes to competition as long as
he/ she stays within the confines of keeping it period looking.
If an individual wants to become a member of the ludicrous bowman society by
all means allowable then by all means. It should not be a reflection on me
or any other archer. The individual with the highest score is recognized as
a good shot.. not necessarily a good archer.
Sorry to run off at the mouth..
Take care all and keep safe
In Service,
Robert the Forgotten
> Ok, now the "can of worms" regarding the training class every two years.
> I told you I am the "old fart" at the beginning of this post. I truly
wonder
> what I can get out of a required class every two years that I could not
get
> from a simple posting on the web. A far more reliable measure of what I
know
> and what problems or short coming I might have will come from another
> marshal working the line with me, or just observing the line I run. It
might
> be better and easier to just have a two year observation by another
marshal
> than having to do an entire class.
> I, as the "old fart" marvel at how difficult we in the SCA are making
> assuming any position from MOL to water bearer!  Is there a position that
> does not now require a MIT type internship and a continuing education
> component?  As an old observer, I find no difference in the quality of the
> job people are doing with the "improvements".  If it is a liability issue,
> then I can see it as a CYA by the corporate and individual entities, but I
> think we have gone a little overboard!
As an "old fart", and I think the first one to actually put into writing any
> training materials for marshals in this kingdom, as well as being a
> professional educator....May I offer a compromise suggestion, at least
> concerning target archery marshals?  In this wonderful world of electronic
> communications, why can someone not set up a marshals web site that
INCLUDES