[Archers] FW: My take on the rules.

Robert and Lucinda Welenc lwelenc at cablespeed.com
Wed May 1 16:34:09 PDT 2002

Unto the Archery Marshals of Atlantia, does Lord Ivan Borisovich send
greetings,

Having read the many messages concerning the new draft rules for archery
in Atlantia, I sat down last evening and read them again.

As far as the current debate about RR scores for an MIT, I would prefer
that any MIT have experience at a variety of event/activity types.  RR
should be one of them.  A full IKAC should be another, and some type of
novelty shoot should be a third.  For an MIT, the exposure to each of
these types of activities will provide them with an understanding of
each of these types of events and the different considerations that need
to be made in order to marshal them.  As long as the requirement for a
RR average is only for an MIT, then it should be retained.  To try and
require all marshals to maintain a RR average would probably be
counterproductive to archery in Atlantia.  Since the rules seem to state
that this requirement is only for an MIT, then I say leave it in.

As for the wrist strap, I do not believe that they should be totally
outlawed.  If the strap is used as a safety device, then some serious
consideration should be given to allowing it.  If the device is
something similar to what modern Olympic athletes use then it should be
discouraged or possibly outlawed.  My personal opinion is outlawed.  The
difficulty in this would be to make sure that the ruling is clear and
unambiguous.

Now for a more mundane issue.  Rules need to be consistent or explained
what the distinctions are when there is an apparent inconsistency.  In
this specific case, Section 7.1 Scoring states that "Arrows that bounce
off the ground or an obstacle and hit the target shall count." whereas
the rules for Royal Rounds states exactly the opposite in Section I.A.3.
As far as back as I can remember, an arrow that hits the ground before
the target is a dead arrow and should not be scored.  In a specialty or
novelty shot, this may not be practical, but it should be the exception,
and not the general rule.  I like the ruling under the RR scoring as the
normal rule.

    That is my .02 worth on this topic.

--
Ivan Borisovich