[Archers] New Archer Names

Lawrence Castell Lawrence.Castell at trw.com
Wed May 15 09:06:47 PDT 2002

A couple of issues. I apologize for being 'removed' as of late but work has grabbed 90% of my time lately. My SCA 'to it' list just keeps getting bigger and longer with no light in the tunnel.

Issue #1 (the easy one)
When a new archer, and new to the SCA, attends one of our events or practices, and participates in a Royal Round or IKAC we should be careful of how we submit their names to the respective scorkeepers.

In keeping within the format of the SCA naming policies - If the new archer gives a name that tends toward the fantasy realm we should be prepared to:
1) talk to the archer and let them know that the name does not fit the normal SCA concepts.
2) verify if they play with some other type of group and if that is their valid name.
3) ask the archer if:
    1) they could pick some other name, even if it is temporary, that is more appropriate for the SCA
    2) the SCA name can be left blank until the archer can come up with an appropriate name. The SCA name can always be added later.
This is also to inform Gregge not to approve names that are obviously or near fantasy until verification can be made with the submitting marshal on the validity of the name as a valid SCA type name. But at the same time let the scores be displayed with the archers mundane name. There is no reason to penalize the archer, by not displaying their scores, while a SCA name research is being conducted.

Issue #2 (the dicey one)
Waivers
Thanks Corwyn for the quick response. And that clears things for me al little also. As I have not heard all the details yet and heard of the final result  I have been waiting for command decisions to change the present way we run things to roll down. And not just rumors.