[Archers] RE: Too many useless Royal Round Scores

Siegfried Sebastian Faust eliwhite at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 3 17:20:57 PDT 2002

By our current rules, implicit within how the scoring is handled, only the
top three scores of any one day could ever, possibly, be considered in
one's average.

So I would argue that it is 'no stretch' to put an 'official limit' of only
turning in three scores a day per archer.  Any more is just purely more
work for the scorekeeper, and without really any benifit (If a specific
archer wants to know ALL his scores, he can keep them himself, the kingdom
scorekeeper's job is to keep that scores that will possibly lead to a ranking.)

I do not like the idea of limiting it to one a day, because of the reason
that Ignacio mentioned ... to someone that shoots them every week, it may
not be a problem.  However, to the occasional shooter, or worse, the person
who needs to travel far to reach some place with a Royal Round being shot
... they may take a LONG hard time to get three scores in.

One of the 'draws' of the Royal Round that I have been able to use to get
people to shoot it, and be scored (and my Baron has used as well)
is:  "Come on, all it has to take is to show up one day and shoot the RR
three times, then you are ranked."  That is usually then enough to get them
'hooked', and wanting to see that average rise.  (Or not ... but sometimes)

Also, restricting it to only submitting one a day, might quite well
discourage some people from practicing more, and getting better.  If they
shoot a good round, they may feel encouraged to 'stop', because they would
feel horrible/cheated if they then did another good round, and only got to
count one of them.  So they get their 'good round', and leave for the day,
instead of shooting more and more, trying to get better.

I would also say that it wouldn't "hurt" to have mentioned in the rules,
that while at MAX 3 scores, per person, per weapons form, can be submitted
... that they need not be, at the archer's discretion.

I know that in Highland Foorde we often don't submit scores that we know
are because we had a bad day, or high wind, or equipment problems ... when
we know that next weekend we are just going to do higher because we will be
'back on track'.  So we don't bog the scorekeeper down with such scores.

Again, it needs to be a decision made by the ARCHER, not the marshal
though.  And the marshal would need to ask the archer if s/he wants them
submitted.

Siegfried