[Archers] Voices on Draft

Jim Bishop II catmajick at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 15:48:44 PDT 2002

Greetings All,

  Let me start by stating that it is important to keep in mind the Archers
in our Kingdom have a voice as well.  I have spent some time going through
my notes from events over the last couple of years.  In this, I have
ascertained that there are mixed feelings toward the use of straps, some
feel it is too mundane to utilize a strap for your bow while shooting. A
small number have little to say regarding straps and an even smaller number
feel that research needs done to actualize the "periodness" of these straps
so there are no complaints if someone chooses to use one.
   IMO, while the strap may increase the safety on the line (which is a very
important factor) it also allows for added support, while standing, in
gauging ones target.  Could this strap be listed as a "rest"?  A good
archer, if you pay close attention, usually has a small figure eight
pattern, with the tip of his arrow, being drawn in the air. This occurs when
the bow is drawn and the archer is focused on his/her target, before release
(it only happens in a matter of seconds).  Looking at this from a
perspective of an archer and a Marshal, I believe the strap would enhance
each archers ability on the line and increase the accuracy potential of even
the extreme novice.

   When looking at the Royal Round aspect, one has to look at the
availability of other TAM.  In my instance, unless I travel to another
Barony or Shire, I am usually the one who is Marshalling.  Not until
recently has there been another warranted Marshal in my area and two MIT's
are still in the wings.  They just need to attend events and meet the
requirements.  I, personally, will not shuffle someone through just because
the paperwork is done.  I am not stating that this is the case here but I
have seen it done.  It is difficult to maintain a RR average.  My last
average was but a mere 68 in the RR, and that was two years ago.  We need to
look at the readily available means to accomplish this requirement.  I agree
with Janie, I would feel more comfortable knowing that the person
Marshalling the activity actually had a clue!!!

Just my opinion,

Lord Menua