[Ponte Alto] Demo at Sunrise Valley Elementary School

Megan Ladd mladd28 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 07:05:31 PDT 2016

As many of you know, I am an elementary school speech therapist in my
mundane life. The 5th graders at our school (Sunrise Valley Elementary
School in Reston, VA) have been learning about the Middle Ages, and, on
June 21st, will have their Medieval Day. All the 5th graders (and their
teachers) will dress up in Medieval clothing and enjoy a day of good,
really old fashioned fun. They will have games, snacks, crafts, a banquet,
and a medieval market. Of course the teachers know about my hobby, and have
asked if I could get some of “my people” to do some sort of presentation
about the Middle Ages. The time we are looking to fill is between 1:00 and
1:30 on Tuesday, June 21st.

I was thinking that if we could get several people (in garb, naturally) to
show-and-tell for about 5 minutes each on some Medieval topic, we could
easily fill the half hour we’ve been allotted. Unfortunately, being an
elementary school, we cannot have fighting, but bringing arms (no live
steel…rattan is fine) and armor in for the kids to see is acceptable. Some
great ideas to share about would be: clothing, armor, fiber arts, musical
instruments, singing, cooking, woodworking, blacksmithing, dancing, scribal
arts, and general life in the Middle Ages. We’re open to whatever YOU would
like to talk about! You’ll have a rapt audience of 60 or so 5th graders to
share your passion with!

They are looking more for specific information about the Middle Ages, but
sharing information about the SCA is fine too, as long as the focus is on
actual history. (I just wanted to clarify that it is not an SCA demo, per
se, but rather a Medieval History presentation, provided by SCA people.)

Please post here, PM me, or email me (mom at pontealto.atlantia.sca.org) if
you could be of assistance. I know it is during the work day, but maybe
being during lunch time (ish) might help people be able to drop by? I would
appreciate it, as would the Barony, the kids, and school. (Also, if you
cannot come yourself, but would be willing to let us borrow some things to
display, please also let us know that as well!)

Yours in Service,

Lady Annika Siltanen
Chancellor for Youth Activities
Deputy Chatelain