[Ponte Alto] Fwd: [Atlantia-Announce] Gyrth Oldcastle Memorial Smackdown

Christine Menton ladypartypanther at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:06:34 PST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Katherine Hawkins via Announce <announce at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Subject: [Atlantia-Announce] Gyrth Oldcastle Memorial Smackdown
To: Atlantia Announcements <announce at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org>, Merry Rose
<atlantia at atlantia.sca.org>, Bright Hills <brighthills at yahoogroups.com>

    We just had the Smackdown at Kingdom Arts and
Sciences  and  it was great fun!  I begged and so
was  voted to  conduct  the next smackdown in 2015.
I was  tasked to  get the  requirements out early.
Is this  early  enough?  I  came home with great
enthusiasm  and so  here are the poems  requested for
the Gyrth  Oldcastle  Memorial Smackdown next
year.  We would  like you to  bring them all but will
not  turn you  away if you only  have one.

 It is not too early to start thinking about your poems for the Smackdown
at KASF.  Remember this is done in good fun.  There is no pressure.  It is
a good place for novices and others who may wish to start performing their
poetry to come and recite.  Your poems can be read.  Please remember you do
not need to write a poem in each category.  It is optional.  You may write
one or more poems at your discretion.  Again, the object here is to have
fun!

    Your Entry Fee - Write one period poem of any
length  placing  Gyrth Oldcastle as the hero in a
folktale.  Adapt any  folktale or make up your own
based on his  life, and make him  the hero -- with
his  words, with  his wit, with his deeds,  with
his  cunning or with his  love.  This challenge
is  designed so that those who  did not know Gyrth can
put  him in  any story and those  who did know Gyrth
can  tell us about  him.

    One Slam Poem and One Praise Poem - Write two
poems  in  any  medieval style of your choosing –
one  should  praise an  inanimate object (a rock, a
spoon,  a wall, etc.) or insect  (flea, bee, cricket, etc.) and
the  other should slam an  inanimate object or
insect.  Don’t tell what the  object or insect is
– we  must  guess from your poem.

    One Poem of the Writer’s Choice - Give us a poem
on  any  subject, event or person of your choice
written in  a  medieval genre.

    Please be prepared to give us a sentence or two
explaining  the style of your poem.

Yours in poetry,

Lady Katarzyna Witkowska
443-813-1436

"Poetry is nearer to vital truth than history." ~Plato, *Ion*

Per pale vert and purpure, a panther rampant argent, incensed Or,spotted
vert and purpure