[Ponte Alto] A&S at Dun Carraig's Baronial Birthday / Lochmere Arrow Shoot

Kristin snarlingbadger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:54:51 PDT 2013

Arts and Sciences Competitions

Words Can Be Prettier Than Pictures

"Bring out your dead!" "As you wish." "Did my boy change his stars?" "It's
only a flesh wound!" ..... Abundant are the memorable phrases from the
medieval movies we've seen over the years. At Baronial Birthday, a
calligraphy competition will be held. Entries should be a favorite phrase
from a medieval movie, done in a period hand (document please). The hand
need not match the time period/place of the movie. Limited illuminated
embelishments please. Cadels, flourishes, pen work encouraged. Please
indicate novice calligrapher, practicing calligrapher, or advanced
calligrapher on your entry form.

I Can Make One of Those!

How many SCAdians have day dreamed about being able to work on props or
costumes for the movies?Here's your chance! Choose an item from your
favorite medieval movie, and recreate it. Should you wish to create a more
SCA usable item, you are welcome to adjust the characteristics of your item
to make it more accurate. OR you may simply create the item as it is in the
movie. Either way, please document what you've done, how it was displayed
in the movie, and how it may have been different in a more period form.
Creativity with item choice is encouraged.

Fictional Examples

A dress. (This dress exemplifies the dress as worn in the opening scenes of
the Princess Bride. (see pictures of original) I adjusted my pattern to
incorporate a more accurate 15 century lacing style on the back of the
dress.)

An Orc goblet. (This goblet was created as a reproduction of the goblet
held by Bob Orc in the Hobbit. A period goblet from the middle ages would
not have had a base shaped like that in the movie. However, the design was
very eye catching and unique, so I decided to recreate one as it was
originally displayed in the film.)

In addition to the above description, standard information for A&S
documentation (materials, method,etc.) is encouraged and will be part of
the judging form, but not required.

Dun Carraig's Baronial Birthday / Lochmere Arrow Shoot
http://duncarraig.net/birthday/