[Ponte Alto] An OT plea for help

egeorges at cox.net egeorges at cox.net
Fri Feb 24 08:45:27 PST 2012

Greetings fellow Pontoons!

I am turning to my Barony for help with a project in my non-SCA life working for Washington Project for the Arts.

Every year, we do our major fundraiser (by major, I mean a significant percentage of our total yearly budget comes from this event) -- an art auction and gala event.  The Gala this year is called SELECT and features over 100 works of art selected by seven different curators, a live auction of "art experiences," and an amazing dinner designed by celebrity chef Barton Seaver. We will be having the event at 1800 L Street NW -- it's an old Border's bookstore that is easily accessible by Metro and there are parking garages nearby.

The money from the gala goes to support WPA -- we are a contemporary arts organization that provides professional development services and exhibition opportunities to nearly 1000 working artists in the DC region stretching from Richmond to Baltimore.  In a town that is rife with large institutions that show major art by people who are dead and not from here to begin with, we are one of the few, small, proud organizations that support artists that are living and working in our community today.

This year the Gala is on Saturday, March 3 from 6:30pm until Midnight.  And I need some volunteers to help run the auction and the event.

What sorts of things need doing?  We need people to help attendees bid on the art. We need people to help people check in to the event, and to check out once the auction is finished. We need people to help serve as docents in the space.  We need people to help buyers pick up the work they have purchased so they may take it home.

It is a FUN event and you get to see some really cool art, and help out an exceedingly good cause. More than half of our volunteers from last year have returned, just to give you an idea of how much people who work this event like the experience.

I'm turning to my Barony because Scadians are among the most organized, hardest-working volunteers I know.  Inch for inch, y'all are the best of the best, and if I need people to work alongside me, I want it to be people I can trust to do the job positively, with courtesy and cluefull-ness.

If you aren't going to Sacred Stone for University that weekend, consider spending an evening helping out local artists and getting an inside peek at a really cool party.

Email me at my work email:  lgeorges at wpadc.org for more information or if you want to help out. If you want to see what the auction is all about, visit our auction website at http://auction.wpadc.org.

Thanks for taking a moment to read.  Thanks in advance for your help.  Y'all are the best.

YIS,

Maestra Luce Antony Venus
(who is still getting used to signing my name that way.....)
(m.k.a. Liz Georges)