[Ponte Alto] feastware

Brannen brannen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 09:14:43 PDT 2011

For those worried about wood and bacteria, let me suggest one-step
sanitizer. You can easily find it at brew shops and the like. The stuff is
great, not terribly expensive, and easy to use.

Bran

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Nicole E. Miller <schnauzer2 at cox.net>wrote:

> Besides what period and culture you want for the look, you also need to
> decide about the material and what aspects of each are more important to
> you.
>
> Pottery is great.  Covers many cultures and time frames.  Cleans up nicely,
> doesn't tend to harbor bacteria, can often be done in the dishwasher, ect,
> but its significantly more fragile than say wood or metal and it can also be
> rather heavy.
>
> Wood is lighter but can harbor bacteria (if not properly cleaned each use
> and the finish kept up) and doesn't fair so well in dishwashers.
>
> There are even a few good options in plastic.  They usually resemble
> pottery, but are not as common so may not work in terms of "the right look"
>
> Metal travels very well but may not fit your desired look and can also have
> weight and dishwasher issues.
>
> Sian
>
> ---- Rich Manzano <rich_manzano at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> =============
> Comrades,
>
> Any recommendations for vendors who make feastware? My tinned 18th century
> stuff looks way too modern and while 'pewter' alloy stuff is available it
> may also hew to a much later period. So I figured I'd ask experienced hands
> before plunking down any money.
>
> Drinking vessels I'd imagine would be pottery but for basic plates and
> bowls I'd welcome the List's recommendations re: size, materials and makers.
>
> many thanks,
>
> Tancred

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are
injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there
are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82