[Ponte Alto] Pennsic

Belphoebe belfebe at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 09:20:17 PST 2010

Hi Tselmeg,

Okay, here's the way it works.  At Pennsic, you can camp two ways:  In singles camping or in an encampment.

Singles camping:  You show up with whatever you have at Troll, and they will point you to wherever there is room for "singles."  You pitch your tent there, whichever type of tent you may have, and that's it.  There is no encampment or anything.  You just camp.

Encampments:  There are a ton of groups that camp together at Pennsic, forming encampments.  You will need an invitation to camp with said encampments.  Different groups have different requirements.  Some are very laid back and don't require anything from you but that you bring your tent (any tent, whether nylon or canvas), or that you share a tent with someone else.  Others require that you bring the whole shebang as they may be period encampments in which nothing modern can be shown.  And most lie right in the middle.

There are Baronial encampments (such as Ponte Alto), Kingdom encampments (such as Atlantian Royal), Household encampments (there are a bunch out there organized by households), and just encampents organized by groups of friends.  Some have very elaborate setups, meal plans, etc.  Some are much more laid back.  It depends on the group.  All of them have a land agent (or person responsible for the encampment) and must register with the Cooper's (the owners of Cooper's Lake, where Pennsic take place).

For first timers, a Baronial encampment is ideal.  Baronial encampments are usually open to Barony members (such as you).  Ponte Alto does not have a canvas requirement, but it does require that you pre-register with the Baronial encampment prior to Pennsic.  This is to ensure that there is enough land for everyone.  I am not sure who is the land agent this year for Ponte Alto, but the information will come through very soon, as it does every year.  It is also a great opportunity for folks to get better acquinted with the rest of the Barony.  I highly recommend it.

I do hope that this provides more information.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Belphoebe