[Ponte Alto] Training for Pennsic

wilchamor1 at aol.com wilchamor1 at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 19:53:49 PDT 2010

IT IS LESS THAN 4 MONTH TO PENNSIC!!!!!!
Now that I have your attention, how is your melee training? Are you moving as a unit, or a bunch of individuals? When in a reseraction battle do you just go back to the fight, or do the smart thing and wait and put a unit together? Do you know how to break down a wall of fighters down as a group? Did you know that a column can be broken down and made ineffective? How many formations can you fight in? What formations work best in different situations? Can you march or run as a unit?
 All these questions need to be answered and addressed if necessary. The best way is by showing up at practice, at least on Sundays. There are no excuses, except real life. Going to an event that is less than 120 miles away is no excuse, unless it is a weekend event. being tired is no excuse, that just says you are weak and don't care if the barony does well at Pennsic.
 Just because you were ok the last two years, does not mean you can just show up at Pennsic and be good this year. You must practice, practice, practice, all the time.
 Just because Max has left is no reason to think that the Barony cannot do better. We just need to develop people to be leaders. How is this this done? Practice, practice, practice!
 A Barony that depends on one leader can be in trouble if he gets killed on the field. You may say that the knights of the barony should lead. But you need to understand that the knights who can lead, had to learn how to do it.
 Is this beginning to get through? Or have you been hit too many times in the head. Melee practice can be fun. Not just by fighting but by playing games.
 Yes games, there are ways to make it fun for the fighters and learn at the same time.if you start coming to practice I can show you how. If you don't well you have no one to blame except yourself.
 Now lets talk about formitations. Can any of you tell me how to wedge, and where to? Does any one know know how to use combined arms formation to the best effect? What are other possible formations? Think people.
 Has anyone thought about how a center grip shield can be used with a 6 or 7 foot spear in battles, with a sword as a secondary weapon. The spear could be dropped when you need to. Think out of the box. We need to experiment if people are willing. Until you experiment how will you know? How would this work on the field, on the bridge, in the woods?
 You have to be willing to try different things, to expand past your comfort zone. Work to become better. Can you do it? How will you know unless you try.
If nor the Barony will suffer from your selfishness.
 I challenge you to show up every week, have you got the courage.
 One of the founders of the Barony of Ponto Alto.
Cosimo of Venice