[Ponte Alto] June Events!

neacalban1 at aol.com neacalban1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 22:05:37 PDT 2009

Baron James and Baroness Katherine,

  My thanks for the welcome extended to my person. My yurt has been pitched within your lands for many years,but it is only of late that I decided to try my bow in friendly essay against the Men of the West. As Great Tengri wills, I expect to become more known amongst your people and to forge new alliances to the benefit of all.  I travelled far this past end-week to the Kingdom Archery event down in the Hot Lands. Ever since leaving the steppes and coming to dwell among the crowded places, finding open space to bend my bow has been difficult, and due to other pursuits, I bent it not for five years and more. Six changes of the Moon past I discovered the military encampment named Belvoir was open to me,and not far away, with use of the ensorcelled wain of my shaman. While the ranges are good, the farthest is 60 yds, and the penalty for error is often loss of ammunition. Thus I enjoyed the Clout Shoots at Lochmere,Highland River and Sacred Stone.

  I have one query regarding the archery, which could be answered by any in the Known World.....I have seen many interesting targets so far,mostly depictions of animals,(most known and some of myth) but none anthropoid. Considering the art being practiced was both to provide food, and to wage war,or defend oneself, I note the absence of humanoid targets(excepting Gnomes,that appear to be fair game in Bright Hills and Highland River.)  Is there a social convention or unspoken pact regarding
 this matter? It can hardly be that all in the known world are entirely peacable folk- witness the heavy fighting and the included combat archery....I do note,upon reflection that such targets would require more in the way of materials to construct(unless one is hunting  Na Sithichean/Na Daoine Beaga, which has attendant risks- having spent much time among the Caledones in another life,I am well versed in their tongue and culture)

Any one interested in going to Diamond Wars 24 in October, I would be willing to share travel. it is a far distance to be sure....

Also, anyone interested in the ETARS event in Late August,in northern PA, I think I'm going.

The Blessings of  Great Tengri upon you all,

Nikola