[Ponte Alto] Dance Practice Update

Jamie Roberts jamie at chorusamerica.org
Mon Sep 29 13:23:51 PDT 2008

Thanks to all who attended our first Ponte Alto dance practice Sunday
following the fighter practice.  [Who knew that all the fighters would
be anxious to master capriole jumps on the first day?  What a great
group of overachievers we have-a special thanks to the fighter practice
participants for joining us!]

Cheat sheets for the dances we learned and links to the music can be
found at: http://www.mroeproductions.com/padance.html

Based on our first dance practice experience, Margaret and I would like
to move our start time up to 4:30 pm, when we can  begin work with
dancers who aren't fighting.  Because the fighter practice end time
varies between 4:30 and 5 pm, we will begin with warm-ups and review at
4:30 pm, and we'll be ready for those fighting to join us as soon as
their work together concludes between 4:45 and 5 pm.  Dates scheduled
for practices are:

Oct. 12

Oct. 26

Nov. 16

Dec. 7

Please wear comfortable clothing and either the shoes you would wear to
a period ball, or thick-soled shoes for outdoors practices.   Ladies, if
you own a farthingale which you plan to wear for the Twelfth Night ball,
please also bring that with you.

Our goals continue to be (1) to introduce new dancers to the basic steps
and principles necessary to execute period dances and (2) to prepare for
the upcoming Twelfth Night's Tudor Ball, which will be held January 10
in Stafford, Virginia.  Each class will build upon the prior classes'
concepts, so we encourage dancers to attend as many practices as they
can; for those who miss a practice, we'll ensure that new dancers can
pick up in the middle if they miss something.  We continue to encourage
participants of all levels to join us as we establish a dance community
within Ponte Alto.

For more information, contact Margaret at mlysett at yahoo.com or
443-880-8036 (cell), or Jamie at jamie at chorusamerica.org or 202-744-8119
(cell).