[Ponte Alto] Buying a Tent (advise please?) -- Reply (Long)

Belphoebe belfebe at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 08:58:11 PDT 2008

Hi Dana,

> Hey yall,
> I'm planning on buying a canvas tent but don't know
> anything about it
> expect that I want it water proof and flame retardant.

> Does anyone have:
> 1) Ideas on what I need to look for
> 2) Recommendations on where to buy it
> 3) a way to save me from myself?

To reply to your question, I would have to ask first if this is a tent just for yourself, or a tent that you would share with someone else.  By that meaning, whether this is a one person tent, or a two or more.  That will decide on size.  Also, what is your budget.

If this is a tent just for yourself, that is practical, economical, easy to transport, easy to setup, reasonably period-looking, and all canvas, I would highly recommend one of the wall tents of Fall Creek Sutlery.

http://www.fcsutler.com/fcwalltentdetails.asp

http://www.fcsutler.com/fccanvas.asp

These tents are mostly for Civil War reenactment, but they look reasonably similar to certain period ones.  Several members of my household own those, and they love them.  They don't come with poles and ropes, but you can get 2x4's at Home Depot and either cut them yourself or have someone help you.  I don't think that finding help will be an issue.  If you don't have anyone, drop a note to this list.  We can help.

Another economical way to do this, would be to wait until Pennsic gets closer and keep an eye on websites like the Merry Rose.  Usually, at that time people will be posting ads on "used pavillion for sale."  You can get some very good bargains there.

Keep in mind that a period pavillion with poles will take a lot more space in your car than a modern pop-up tent.  If your car is not that big, go for the Fall Creek Sutlery solution.  One of our Household members, Baroness Catalina, has a Scion Series A, and she can pack the tent in there along with her Pennsic stuff with no problem.

Money, space, quality and ease of setup and transport are your main concerns and what to look for.

Fall Creek tents have never leaked on us.  Neither have the 4 Seasons Tentmasters pavillions that Marcellus and I have owned over the years.  Some people swear by Panther Primitives.  These ones (Tentmasters, Panther, etc.) will be pricier than Fall Creek and take more poles and ropes.  If you have a good truck, and you want to save some money, see if you can get a used one.

Now, if you have the truck, the cash, and want to go all out, my favorite would be a new Tentmasters.  We have owned a regency and a marquee.  The regency is square, has a frame, and less poles.  It is easier to set up, and transport, but you get a wee bit less space due to sloping walls.  The walls do not come off.

The regency has a lot more poles, so transport is fussier than the marquee.  On the other hand, it can double as a dayshade if you don't set up the walls.  It is also more expensive than a marquee.

Other folks may have other experiences and advise, but this is what I can offer you based on our experience.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Belphoebe