[Ponte Alto] A tent pole saga and question

Jude theObscure xgreenjudasx at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 09:55:18 PDT 2008

  Good afternoon to the list,

  When Abel and I bought our tent from Tribe Badir we were told that there were these mystical things called "landscaping poles" which were 6-8 feet tall, round, wooden, thicker than a closet dowel (think about a good, hefty polearm thickness), and cheap, and thus they should be used for the poles of our tent.

  Here on the east coast if you go into a garden or lumber store looking for "landscaping poles" they look at you funny. I've let my fingers do the walking on Google and have found some photos of what I'm looking for:

  http://www.totalpoles.co.uk/machined-landscape-poles.html

  http://www.landscapesupply.ca/products/product.php?pid=1610

  https://www.oescoinc.com/product_info.php?products_id=2124

  Now, as I've visited a plethora of garden shops, lumber yards, and arborists in the NOVA area along with the large and unhelpful entities that Home Depot and Lowes are, and I am thoroughly convinced these types of poles are simply not found in this area. So far I've heard them called: machine rounded landscaping poles, small landscaping timber, tree poles, trees stakes, grapestakes, but sadly no matter what they are called people simply do not have them in stock.

  It's maddening because the landscaping poles are apparently 3 bucks each, while an 8 foot closet dowel is 3 dollars a foot. At 12 poles a tents, well, I'd rather go the cheap route.

  Before I give up hope and buy 2x2 posts and sand them down, does anyone know of a store in the NOVA, MD, or DC area that carries these mystical machine rounded landscaping poles? If so, I'd appreciate an e-mail from you.

  Thank you!
  Lady Baska the Depraved