[Ponte Alto] Introductory tunic construction by Katharine & James (For those who need garb)

Jeffrey C French jcfrench at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 10:50:46 PDT 2008

Katharine Devereaux & James de Biblesworth have volunteered to help teach people how to make authentic style tunics. This is an easy project (even for those who don't believe they can sew), and should be useful for most. This single pattern, designed for each person, can be used for Men or Women (or even children) and can take you from Viking to 14th c for men and Viking to 13th c for women.The general method we will be using is called "Rectangular Construction" and is a great first step in learning to draft your own patterns.

For men: shirts (to be worn under tunics), Tunics.
For women: chemises (to be worn under dresses), dresses.

This Wednesday (June 24th) will begin the series of workshops during July on Pennsic Clothing and helping you make these basic tunics. This first one we will work on your pattern and then in July we will work to help you sew them yourself.

The first will be at Jurgen & Flora's house Tomorrow (starting around 6:30 PM)!! YOU NEED TO  BRING: paper (butcher or freezer) for making your own pattern, pen/pencil, scissors.

The next one we will begin with fabric (more information will be sent out and discussed at Wednesday's class).

We look forward to seeing you, don't hesitate to write if you need directions.

Vivat Ponte Alto,
Jurgen & Flora, Baron & Baroness of Ponte Alto