[Ponte Alto] Update on Sir Michael San Severe's Condition

Max Nelson maxntropy at att.net
Sat Jun 14 20:11:24 PDT 2008

There is going to be a delay in taking Michael off the ventilator.
The doctors want to make sure his blood oxygenation is at the right
levels.  They are estimating anywhere from 2 days to 1 week on the
machine.  They put him in deep sedation to allow him to be calm (as if
he's not usually calm) and heal.  They are still determining how long
it should be until they're ready to take him off sedation and allow
him to breathe on his own.

To Michael's credit, he is a strong fighter (as if we all didn't know
*that* one!).  All the nurses have commented on it.  Ironically, his
strength and the fact that he's fighting may actually be extending the
process of getting him off the ventilator (sometimes the only way to
win the game is to surrender, I guess).  Barbara tells us the staff
has been great and has gone above and beyond the norm for them all.

Though they are still monitoring his lungs, he thankfully has
continued in his positive trajectory.  The scans they've done of his
lower body didn't disclose anything of concern (something I always
like to hear when folks scan *my* lower body).

He continues to be stable and his oxygen level has been reduced from
nearly 100% down to 50%, meaning his body is doing more work on its
own and that he is on a good path toward getting off the ventilator.

The main staff has left for the weekend, so no significant decisions
on his condition will be made until Monday.

Barbara, Jim and Allison are tremendously grateful for everyone's
prayers and kind support, but if you or anyone you know are planning
on calling Barbara, please hold off for sometime... she has been
inundated for some time now, and it has diminished her ability to take
care of the matters at hand (she's truly exhausted and trying to focus
all her energies for Michael).

If you want to send cards or such, you can send them to their home
address which is:

Barbara and Michael Plotts
41 Nugent Drive
Stafford, VA  22554