[Ponte Alto] Tuesday Night Stierbach Practice...

David Conlon eldrid at viscounteldrid.com
Wed Feb 27 04:21:16 PST 2008

The Tuesday Night fighter practice in Stierbach was beyond all expectations well at least my expectations.  As usual His Excellently Baron Colum was at the practice in full fighting splendor, also a welcome visit from his Excellently Baron Jurgen from Ponte Alto was appreciated by all.  As a bonus the baron from Ponte Alto brought as a retinue, a couple strong and stout fighters and some of his famous heavy weapons instructors.

  Although Ponte Alto showed up in some strength the majority of the fighters at practice were from our barony of Stierbach.  Myself being a fighter and having difficulty with numbers higher than the digits on one hand, my lovely Wife and Lady, Mistress Sofia took an informal count of the fighters in gear and engaged in practice.  By her count there were 2 historical Western Martial Arts fighters, 8 Rapier Fighters and 9 Heavy Weapons fighters.   Even though an accurate count was not taken of the teachers, artisans and populous who showed up, by my estimate there were at least a dozen lords and ladies who were involved and aiding with practice.

  Unfortunately my focus was only on the heavy weapons so I can not comment clearly on the other forms of combat, but in heavy weapons area all involved gained much in experience and his Excellency baron Turgeis organized a 20 min bear pit tourney at the end of practice.  All heavy fighters participated and did very well.  Baron Max Von Halstern from Ponte Alto participated as a marshal and instructor his aid was appreciated by all.

  Several of the heavy fighters including myself have expressed interest in trying the fast paced swashbuckling style of the rapier fighters.  After practice I spoke with the incoming baron Flaithri and he is willing to arrange to teach those whom are interested the rules, regulations and basics of fighting rapier.

  Every week so far Historical Western Martial Arts fighters have been at practice.  It would help each and every one of us to spend some time to delve into this art form.  I am sure they would enjoy showing everyone the finer points of this skill set.

  Although I would like to mention each and everyone who helped make this a successful practice I am old with my memory failing, likely due to years of pounding blows taken to my head, I also have always been terrible with remembering names.  I mean no offence if my failing memory has led me to forget or mis-state a fact, event or name.  Please accept my apology and do not have any qualms to send me a gentle reminder or correction.

  I look forward to next weeks practice, and please do not hesitate to take advantage of our neighboring baronies Ponte Alto practices on Thursday night and Sunday during the day.

  I would like to personally thank Dan Brown the Instructor at the Prince William Fencing Academy for opening his building to our barony.  And as a reminder to help foster good will and keep this excellent site for future use.  The academy provides drinks and snacks for a very reasonable price.  There is also a $5.00 fee and mundane annual waiver to sign per fighter, guests and spectators are free and have a huge area near the fighting lanes.  Fighters must also wear non marking rubber soled shoes to the practice and due to the large mirrors and expenisve scoring equipment please attach lanyards to your weapons.
  -Viscount Sir Eldrid Wolfsguard