[Ponte Alto] There WILL be practice!!!!!

Kevin Maxson Kevin at Maxson.com
Fri Aug 29 10:44:07 PDT 2008

I agree with you, but Max is listed as a marshal, and he's very-newly
minted, so it's got to be somewhat current.  The changeover should
have happened before that, so perhaps there's an issue with paperwork?
 (Unless the timing is irrelevant, and one thing is current while
another isn't.)  That's why I said, "according to the web site".  In
any case, I have no doubt that you have everything under control.

If I were to make a point, it's that Ponte Alto has many marshals who
can legally oversee a heavy weapons practice.  The marshallate
considers all warranted marshals in the group who are not the top
officer to be "deputies".

In my humble opinion as a long-time marshal and quondam baronial
knight marshal, practice could have been held without issue.  The
deputy marshal assigned to be responsible canceled the practice based
on his withdrawal from the field.  Perfectly normal: no marshal, no
practice.  Any of the people on the list I posted could have replied
with, "I will take responsibility for tonight's practice - people may
still come if they choose."  All of us are deputy marshals.  That
marshal who assumes responsibility is now tasked to watch over the
fighting, to inspect armor and weapons, to make sure everyone has a
waiver in hand or on file, and to add to the knight marshal's
reports/waivers.

As to "canceled" or not, I would feel uncomfortable reverting a senior
(in the sense of office) marshal's reasonable call.  In this case, I
think that so long as no rules are broken and there is no safety
issue, Max had a right to say, "I will take over responsibility for
on-site safety tonight, and we need only cancel if conditions warrant
in real time."  I could have done the same thing.  The practice is a
regular meeting of the barony's, and so long as there is a warranted
officer to keep things legal, all is good.  This is unlike an event's
combat, where if the MiC cancels (and no senior officer - Earl
Marshal/Crown - steps in), it's done because he/she signed a form for
the event.