[Ponte Alto] Punch tester in Storvik

David Chessler chessler at usa.net
Thu Sep 13 21:47:07 PDT 2007

As promised, I have completed a punch tester for rapier armor. I have
not yet tried it, because I'm waiting for glue to dry, but it should
be strong enough without glue.

I will bring it to Storvik practices, Monday evenings in college
park, and will leave it in my car so I should have it every Monday
that I attend.

It took about an hour to make. That does not include 3 quarters of an
hour to find a 1" threaded plastic pipe cap in Home Depot.

Cost was about $5 for the 3" male adapter and the 1" cap. I had the
rest of the stuff in my garage and basement. The 18-inch 1-inch pipe
nipple is worth about $4. I used a 5/32 drill bit for the punch. Not
quite as precise, perhaps, but pretty close. That's worth about $3.
Some hardware stores will sell 2-foot lengths of 2" pipe, but I had
some left over from some repair, so I don't know what it's worth.

--

Davitt il Bigollo da Pisa
Goldsmith's Agent

The straight thrust and the disengage with the foil,
and the simple cutting attack with the sabre, if
done properly with distance, cannot be parried.
                         ---Julio Martinez Costello