[Ponte Alto] SwordFest 2007 (July 14th, Alexandria, VA)

JL Badgley tatsushu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 20:45:59 PDT 2007

I'm cross-posting this from Sword Forum International
(http://forums.swordforum.com).  This is an announcement for a non-SCA
event in Alexandria, sponsored by the dojo I'm a part of.  The
organizer has asked for a potential SCA presence as well--I don't know
if there is anyone interested in demonstrating anything that the SCA
does, including either fighting (which would require the appropriate
marshal(s) ), or 'Historical Combat'.  Or just setting up a booth.
Although it focuses on swords, just about all weapons are appreciated
(although I would need to check on guns), as well as armour.  If
someone wanted to participate and give a demo that required room, we
may be able to set something up on the field outside the dojo for
longer range.  Even if people just want to come and participate
without giving a demo, that may be doable.  If you are interested,
e-mail me off-list.

I just thought there might be people who are interested in this.

-Ii/Josh

All,
The Virginia Kenshinkai and the Capital Area Budokai will be hosting
Swordfest 2007 on 14 July, 2007, from 9:00-3:00 at our dojo in
Alexandria, Virginia.
This is an open forum celebration and appreciation of swords and sword
arts, ancient or modern, east or west. The format will be 20-30 minute
demos, plus hopefully some displays and possibly a vendor or two. This
will be the 3rd year of swordfest, which was held in Pennsylvania the
last two years. A search in the forums should find some background.
The specific list of demos and times are being worked on, but so far
we are looking at (not in any order yet):
- opening ceremony will be a kyudo sharei (formal Japanese archery)
- the VA Kenshinkai will demo Nakamura Ryu Batto do, Mugai Ryu
Iaihyodo, and some tameshigiri
- the Capital Area Budokai will demo naginata-do, jodo, possibly kendo
- Bill Grandy's group will do some western longsword(?)
- Scott Rodell's group will do some Chinese sword and possibly cutting
- another group may do Italian historical fighting (not confirmed yet)
- Paul Manogue-sensei's Edo Yagyu Shinkage Ryu group may come down
- am hoping the Sang Kim-sensei's Toyama Ryu group will come down from New York
- Mike Crampton of Shadow of Leaves may have a table (unless he is on vacation)
- a sword distributor from the dojo may have a table
- am hoping for an SCA type display or demo.
- we should have a display of nihonto, as well as some Japanese style
custom and production blades

Open for suggestions and requests.

Most of these will be in the dojo, so no shoes, please. Those arts
requiring shoes, boots, etc, can use space outside. We will probably
break for lunch, lots of quick food in the area, and allow time to
check out the displays, for socializing, etc.

The public is invited. Any group wishing to participate, please
contact me via PM or email. This is generally a free event, but small
donations ($5?) would be gratefully accepted. We do have to pay the
rent, unfortunately.

More to follow.

Dave