[Ponte Alto] One Knight's Quest

Sarah Toich barjavel at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 10:33:01 PDT 2007

I was asked to forward this to other lists...

I just made a donation to the cause.  Don't feel any pressure, I'm just
sharing the info.
Duchess Simone

"One Knight's Quest: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in
Training to bear SCA's Arms."

Greetings from Sir Brand of An Tir.

At the recent West-An Tir War, several of us organized a "Buy-a-Life
Tourney" in support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). We were
amazed by the generosity of the fighters and populace of the Kingdoms
of The West and An Tir who contributed over $1,000.00 (One Thousand
Dollars, USD) in donations and pledges to this campaign.

The current LLS campaign I am in has sponsorships available at the
$1,250.00 level. Sponsors get their logo and name on the jerseys of
the approx. 450 "Team in Training" (TNT) Athletes participating from
the Washington and Alaska Chapters (part of An Tir & The West). These
athletes and their jerseys will be seen at all TNT events this
season... the Nike Woman's Marathon in California, Portland Marathon,
Triathlon at Pacific Grove and Honolulu Century Cycle.

I thought "How great would it be to have the SCA's Arms and name on
the jersey along with other big corporations?" So, I asked the LLS
and the SCA BoD if that would be OK (if the members donated the
$1,250.00) and both said 'Yes'.

The LLS said donors going through my Website
(www.active.com/donate/tntwaak/Ben-Franklin)
could donate and just add the initials "SCA" to the last of whatever
name they used and they (the LLS) would add all the SCA amounts
together and the SCA would be qualified as a sponsor if contributions
total at or above $1,250.00.

Now, it is right that The Kingdoms of the West & An Tir donate the
majority of the funds... this campaign involves Team in Training
athletes from our areas. However, since we work to put the Society
Arms on the jerseys, I thought a few people from each Kingdom might
want to contribute, so that it is truly an SCA-Wide endeavor. We are
only ~$250.00 short of the Sponsorship Level. A small donation from
the populace of each Kingdom would have the goal met. More, of
course, would be welcomed, but ~$250.00 is all that is needed to get
the SCA's Arms and Name on the jerseys, if all other pledges come
through.

I know there are literally thousands of excellent causes out there:
Katrina relief, your own Kingdom travel funds, local schools, etc.
Fundraising for non-profits (the SCA and many others) is one of the
things I do*. But, if anyone could contribute (or hold a garage sale,
etc. and donate some of the proceeds, etc. by the end of July) I would
be grateful and especially proud to wear the Arms of the SCA on my
back as I pedal.

I remain available for questions and clarifications, or suggestions to
how to raise funds for _your_ favorite group.

Yours in service to the Gift that is the Society,
Sir Master Brand deux-Leons of An Tir, MPel.
(G.Robin Smith - alymere at gmail.com
For lots of links and info on these campaigns and what I do:
www.goBENgo.info