[Ponte Alto] Building the Baronial Army and Recruitment. (long)

Mary Bowles mariatheresapontoon at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 07:28:07 PDT 2007

Hi All,

  I'm going to put my 2 cent worth in at this point. I think everyone has made excellent points, but words are cheap. I've been fighting for 14 years and collecting and distributing armor and patterns for half that time. I am not a mind reader, if I don't know someone needs something I can't help them out. I'm always willing to steer people in the direction of stuff, help them to become knowledgable about gear, and pretty much integrate and train them, because the more people on the field, the more I have to play with. I talk to every new person I see, but, even I haven't heard Mark say, "So I want to fight, got any loaner gear or extra bits I can have?" My only requirement in lending stuff out is that they stop by my place and pick it up. Why? Cause I have crates of the stuff waiting to be reconditioned, and I can't just haul it around to every practice. Duncan has loaner armor but the people currently being trained have it on  temp-permanent loan. So yes we need new
 armor, but who do we build it to? How big or small?

  A suggestion would be to have an armor making day/event/picnic and each fighter build a suit fitted to them, and then either donate it to the baroinal armory or give there old suit to the armory. That way we have all different body-sizes and types.

  I suggest this because, I don't have spare money to commit to sevearl suits of armor.  And after so many years of begging for armor from other fighters, training and recruiting the first thing I learned was that if you really want to fight, you will follow up on fighting/armoring and not just stand around the side lines 'wishing' to fight. A certain amount of commitment is needed on the part of the new person before those at practice commit time, money, and energy to their training. I'm not say that people who just stand there and watch and want to do it are going to be ignored, but there is a certain amount of drive seen in those that actually want to put on armor that gets other excited about training them. And to, practices are a place for the fighters to focus on their own fight.

  Perhaps a "fighter getting started person" is needed for those that show up and express interest in fighting. A person that talks to the new people, shows them moves, and helps them build there first set of armor. This person would not fight at pratice, but be their to talk to those that show up, and exclusively focus on new people. Cosimo, Strikar and Duncan fit this bill mostly, but maybe we need a formalized position?

  So i guess what I'm saying is this. You want armor, come get it. You want to train and not just stand around with hands in pockets commenting on the pretty girls fighting. Step up and ask for training. I, and others like me are always willing to put time and effort into those that want to fight or ask for training. However, I am not going to hold hands and baby a reluctant fighter onto the field just to have them walk away with well over $1000 in equipment. They have to want it, and they have to persue it. This is an expensive hobbie and 60% of those that step on the field, try on the loaner gear ,and get hit, really hit, for the first time, and walk away from this sport. How do you justify the time expense and disappointment after all that? You don't. It happens and you move on.

  As for recruitment. It should be actively persued. That's why we have a Deputy of Demo's. It is up to that person to recruit and retain people for our club. That is not to say someone as dynamic as Will is to be ignored. No, not by a long shot. When you have someone this dynamic you recruit, encouage, and keep engaged this type of individual. They are the ones that will make this group grow in a healthy manner. Anyone is worth recruiting at any time. Everyone should recruit individuals, but it is an unspoken rule in the Society that those you recruite are your responsibility.

  So that's it for my 2 cents. I hope I addressed some if not all of the issues. As to Mark not having armor, send me a list of the armor items you have and I'll try and dig out some things for you to use at Sunday practice.

  Pax,
  Lady Marie-Therese Normand
  Commander, Wildcards
  Fighter Chic

guylestran at aol.com wrote:
    Mark,

  All good points.  I seem to forget lessons I've learned.  I bought a set of Dark Victory Armor for the group when I was in Japan, and another person Lord Phelan Perchased 2 sets.  We then added Ashcroft Baker Helms with adjustable padding.  While I would not advise anyone to purchase Dark Victory Armor, it is good for loaner armor.  While it is protective it is ugly and uncompforable enough that people go on to their first set of starter armor.

  I would be willing to pay half for a set of Baronial Loaner Armor that we can bring to practice.  I don't remember what size you are but I have some legs at hime I would be willing to lend you if you need them.  Ruth already has my extra chest armor.

  My main concern was getting the bodies needed to make our Baronial Levy to the Atlantian Army the best in the Kingdom.  But you have the logical next step.  What do we do with them once we have them.

  By building the Baronial Forces I am also talking about the logiistics part also.  It is really a team effort.  It takes Archers, Polemen, Shields, Commanders, Water bearers, Standard Bearers and all of the like.

  Really more of a family supporting each other so everyone can be included in the fun and we raise and fall as a Barony.

  Sir Guy

  "Knighthood Is Only The Beginning."