[Ponte Alto] Day at the Races III: Specifications for the Bird Gliders

Belphoebe belfebe at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 19:11:28 PDT 2006

DAY AT THE RACES III

Specifications for Bird-Gliders

Two years ago we brought you the Thrill of the Palio
with hobby-horse racing at Day at the Races I!  The
following year, we Sailed the Seven Seas and held boat
races at Day at the Races II!  This year, we are
bringing you Flights of Fancy, where we will be flying
falcons at Day at the Races III!  Falcon gliders that
is!  As in past years, you can rent a fine feathered
specimen from the ever-resourceful Lady Delphina at
Delphina the Mad’s Aviary for Retired Birds.  You can
also build your own falcon if you are so inclined.
For that, you will need the following specifications:

1.	“Falcon” gliders are similar to plane gliders but
made to look like birds.  You may look for
instructions on the Internet, purchase a plane kit and
make it look like a bird, or purchase a pre-made bird
glider.  Here are some useful links:
http://tinyurl.com/j87uv
http://tinyurl.com/hufkd

2.	Construction materials must be balsa wood,
styrofoam, cardboard, or any other material that will
allow the bird to glide.

3.	“Birds” must NOT be self-propelled (i.e. no rubber
band motors or similar) or launched from any device
other than your hand.

4.	Maximum wingspan is 2 feet.  There is no minimum
wingspan.

Remember, there will be a prize for the winner of the
races, a prize for the most original bird, and a prize
for the winner of the children’s races.  And as in
other years, the Peanut Gallery will be able to cheer
for their favorite bird and wager chocolate coins
while they’re at it.

So what are you waiting for?  Come join us on November
11!  We will be waiting for you!

Notes:
-- Pet rocks painted as birds are not gliders.
-- Stuffed animals are not gliders either.  See
instructions above.
-- You can bring your stuffed birds or your pet rocks
for company, but they cannot    compete in the races.
Sorry.

Yours in Service,

Belphoebe