[Ponte Alto] Something We talking about at a New Comers meeting.

Kevin of Thornbury Kevin at Maxson.com
Fri Jun 2 07:00:29 PDT 2006

Quoting guylestran at aol.com:

> At a new comers meeting we spoke about attracting new folks and
> looking for events to do this.

Sir Guy, and members of Ponte Alto, good morning.

You bring up a noteworthy point, that Ponte Alto has been sorely
lacking in recruitment demos for a long time now.  We do seem to fill
the need for school and educational demos when necessary.

Countess Denise organized a demo at Northern Virginia Community
College recently, and from the reports I heard, it was fantastic.  Is
it possible to continue this activity?  Denise would be the best to
answer that.

Years ago, we did demos at the Fairfax Fair until we got squeezed out
and eventually not invited anymore.  I think that was just the nature
of business, and the fact that we didn't pay for our space.  I also
recall a Fairfax City/GMU Fall for the Book demo we did that seemed
very successful.  Unfortunately, we haven't heard from them since
either.

I imagine that combing through newspapers and/or the Internet for demo
opportunities - as Sir Guy suggests - would require lots of
organization.  We obviously can't show up and do our thing
unannounced.  (Some of the more veteran members of the barony may
recall the local reaction when one of our fighters decided to do pell
work/exercises by himself in a neighborhood park some years ago.)
This is not to say the opportunities aren't out there, but I'm
guessing finding them and making cold calls takes a lot of time.  If
Lord James is doing this, that's terrific.  However, it's certainly
not an expectation of his job to do so.  If he's motivated to start,
I'm certain there are those in the barony willing to help with
direction from our chatelaine/seneschal's office.

--
  +    Kevin of Thornbury, OP
+++  (Kevin Maxson)