[Ponte Alto] Challenge for the Tournament of Love and Beauty

Kevin Maxson Kevin at Maxson.com
Wed Dec 27 06:52:31 PST 2006

In the worship and in the name of God, with prayers to Saint Raphael
the Archangel to guard me.  I, Kevin of Thornbury, bearer of arms by
Letters Patent, Principal of the Most Puissant Order of the Kraken,
send forth this challenge in honor of of holy St. Matthias.  Upon the
24th of February, the feast day of the blessed saint, he who was
chosen to join Our Lord's Apostles, I will welcome all those who love
the culture of deeds to meet me in arms at the Tournament of Love and
Beauty in the Barony of Ponte Alto.  Between us shall we accomplish
deeds of arms before the Rose of Atlantia, the gracious and merciful
Queen Anneke Raudhe.  I ask Her to find favor on these articles here
signed.

The first article is that we between us shall be armed in noble
fashion, bearing a token of the favor of one who would inspire us to
great deeds.

The second article is that we should essay combat a plaisance upon the
open field.  My opponent shall have the choice whether we essay with
broadsword and buckler, with pollaxes or with short spears until one
of us should land five counted blows upon the other.

The third article that I, Kevin of Thornbury, will provide two
bucklers of equal worth, two pollaxes of equal worth and two short
spears of equal worth, that my opponent shall choose of the same.

The fourth article is that whosoever in God's Grace has the better of
the other shall have of the other a ransom of some worthy gift to bear
to the one who inspired the victory.

Done by my hand, on this the 26th day of December xli, on the feast
day of St. Stephen.