[Ponte Alto] POLLING IS IN THE MAIL....

Cindy Halstead chalstead3 at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 19 14:39:57 PDT 2005

Okay, I have to do this.  I'm a rules geek, I have to deal with this all
the time, I can't stop myself.  Cassandra, I'm not picking on you - you are
just the most recent person to have said this.  Everyone feel free to
ignore the rest of this post if you're not interested in interpretations of
law.

A polling is NOT a vote.  A polling is solely intended to provide
information to the Monarchs on the opinions of the person responding to the
question being asked.  The final decision is COMPLETELY in the hands of the
Monarchs.  If They choose, They could pay no attention to the responses on
the polling and make a decision based on whether they like the color of
Belphoebe's eyes.  There are no voters in a baronial polling.

Thank you, I feel better now.

Having made the speech, I will now expound and bore you all with
minutia.  A polling is an expression of opinion, and that's all it is.  The
SCA isn't a democracy, and no one gets to vote on anything, with the
exception (in Atlantia, at least) of choosing the Principals of the various
polling orders.  The monarchy decides who their representatives (aka the
baronage) will be.  The only requirement in law is that TRM have to poll
the group in question - in this case, the SCA members of the barony.  They
don't have to go by "majority rules", only on Their own opinions.  Now,
frequently, that opinion is *very much* influenced by the commentary from
the polling responses - I've never heard of any Crown removing baronage
with substantial support, or of picking baronage with virtually no
support.  But it doesn't ultimately matter what the numbers are, because
the monarchs are not bound to make a decision based on the numbers.  It's
important that everyone keep that distinction in mind.  When anyone uses
the term "vote", it implies that the decision is made by the people
participating, and that is distinctly NOT what happens in a baronial polling.

I would also point out that, while it sounds like TRM have said They will
accept commentary from people who play in Ponte Alto but are not members
who reside within the ZIP codes of the barony, They are not obliged even to
review this commentary if They choose not to.  The only official polling
of the Society resident in the barony, and returned to TRM directly.  Given
that They have said such responses can be submitted, I expect TRM will
review them, but they don't have to.

Logically, based on what I said before about "no one gets to vote on
anything" it also follows that groups don't get to elect officers either,
but that's a completely different can of worms that Ponte Alto doesn't tend
to open.  I'll stop boring everyone now. :-)

Caitlyn
Wearing the Regional Seneschale hat