[Ponte Alto] Day at the Races II Nov 12

rosedale703 at aol.com rosedale703 at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 15:42:59 PDT 2005

Day at the Races II: Race to the New World
Nov 12th 2005
Falls Church VA
http://pontealto.atlantia.sca.org/datr.php

So are all your friend going to KWAR but Rapier is just not your thing ?
Ponte Alto is hosting a fun filled event just a short hour distance away

A Day at the Races II: Race to the New World
Barony of Ponte Alto
November 12, 2005
Falls Church Presbyterian Church, Falls Church, VA

1550s Spain: Christopher Columbus may have been the first to journey to the New World, but these days it seems every explorer worth his salt is either looking for or holding letters of marque to carry them to a place called the Americas. They have high hopes of bringing back riches and glory. Ponte Alto wishes to commend Spain for its vision to sponsor the first voyage to this wondrous new land. Therefore, we have planned a day of Feasting and Celebration in honor of Spain and the intrepid explorers who followed Columbus' lead.

The Races: The race is on and we could not sail to the New World without ships! We will be holding ship races to commemorate the occasion in the form of "rain gutter regattas." (The "seas" will be 10 feet of rain gutter filled with water. Check the event webpage for instructions and rules regarding boat construction, or contact Baronne Belphoebe de Givet (baroness AT pontealto.atlantia.sca.org).) Bring your ship and try your luck. Get creative! There will be a limited number of "rental" ships of various qualities available to those sailors who do not have one, courtesy of Lady Delphina's Used Ship Emporium. There will be two sets of races during the day - one for adults and one for youth - and there will be a prize for each.

A&S Competitions: There will be a prize for the most creative ship entered in the Races. There will also be a prize for the most historically accurate ship. The latter does not have to be entered in the rain gutter regattas.

Artisans! Bring your active displays and projects! It will be a great opportunity for people to learn and have a hands-on experience.

Dancing: There will be dancing in the afternoon under the direction of our Dance Coordinator, Lady Allasan bhán inghean Fhaoláin.

Feast: Master Tirloch of Tallaght is planning a sumptuous feast featuring some of the delights brought back from the journeys. Contact Master Tirloch with any dietary concerns (tirloch AT ravenstreet.org).
Site: The site will be the Falls Church Presbyterian Church (http://www.fallschurchpresby.org), 225 East Broad Street, Falls Church, VA 22046. The event open at 10am and closes at 9pm. No alcohol or pets. Sorry, no merchants.

Cost:
 Site FeeFeastSite Fee plus Feast
Adult Non-SCA Member
(Includes $3 non-member surcharge)$9.00$7.00$16.00
Adult SCA Member$6.00$7.00$13.00
Child (5-17 yrs.)$5.00$7.00$12.00
Under 5 yrs.FreeFreeFree

Reservationist: Lady Millicent Chandler (Melanie Cozad), Phone: (571) 434-8150, Email: melaniesuzanne AT gmail.com. Please make checks payable to "Barony of Ponte Alto, SCA Inc." and mail to:

Melanie Cozad
1220 Chase Heritage Circle #203
Sterling, VA 20164

Autocrat: Lady Celia of Rosedale (Tamara Brown), 3714 Sudley Ford Court, Fairfax, VA 22033. Phone: (703) 378 2441, Email: rosedale703 AT aol.com.

Directions:
Take your best route to the Capitol Beltway (I-495) in Northern Virginia.
Exit onto Route 7 East towards Falls Church.
Follow for 3.1 miles.
The church is on the left, just past the intersection with Route 29, Lee Highway.
Pass the church, and turn left onto North Fairfax Street.
Turn left into the church parking lot.

a.sca.org/datr.php .