[Ponte Alto] Demos...

Kevin Maxson Kevin at Maxson.com
Mon May 2 11:09:23 PDT 2005

Charlotte Johnson wrote:

> I'm basing my comments off of numerous discussions that
I've witnessed, by SCA fighters and others that *in
general*, SCA combat is a sport, and not a recreation of a
medieval activity, though there are certainly exceptions to
this rule.

Lalalala… I can’t *hear* you.  I’ve fought people who
restricted their movements and blows to historically
documented examples, and they lose miserably.  What’s
documented doesn’t work well against our conventions, and
they’re not allowed to grapple with me or hit me with their
quillons like a hammer.  So ok, we recreate what we can.
Proposals to modify our combat to be more in line with
period practices while still satisfying 21st century safety
and a litigious modern society are best left discussed to
another place and time.  ;-)

Scott Cozad wrote:

> What I wanted to do was demonstrate historical combat
techniques with the long sword. I had planned on doing this
with slow work. By that I mean slow and controlled
movements with the wasters.

I would love to do a demo like this.  I have a complement
of wooden long sword, short sword and roundel dagger.  I’ve
had exactly one class on Fiore dei Liberi, and I loved it.
I wouldn’t mind playing with it again.

And Scott – I don’t have a problem with a child wanting to
hold a practice sword, so long as they don’t try to assume
an aggressive posture with it.  Perhaps I’m naïve?  Placing
one’s hands upon an object (within reason) sparks the
imagination.

Belphoebe wrote:

> Therefore, "SCA related" would refer to our mission of
educating people in the history of the Middle Ages and
Renaissance and not necessarily in SCA life. And a demo on
period fighting, when done properly, will be not only SCA
related but also safe.

Your Excellency, I’d love to believe this, but that’s not
what the note we got said.  Granted, Dame Anne had this
information third hand and not a lot of context to work
with.  Neither she nor anyone else is trying to curb our
fun – and I think we all understand that.  It’s best to get
these things straight beforehand though, so that making
assumptions upsets no one.

I agree that this kind of demo, as a stop action – “I place
my hands here, he moves thusly and now look, I can take his
sword away by rotating it around my hilt” – would be
perfectly acceptable.  But now that the can of works is
open, it’s best to get it all out before actually
performing such demonstration.

+