[Ponte Alto] Proposal to the BOD on Period Combat Studies

Katharine Devereaux katdevereaux at hotmail.com
Wed May 4 07:10:26 PDT 2005

>From Mathilde:
     Looks like there are some interesting things in the works.

        From: http://www.sca.org/BOD/pres-report.html

        "A proposed set of rules for Period Combat Studies as an Arts & Sciences activity was presented. The Board referred it to the Society Minister of Arts & Sciences for review."

        This is the supposed proposal, though I have not seen an official copy:

        Period Combat Studies: I ask the Board to approve the following proposal for allowing martial theatrical performances, demonstrations, and classes under Arts and Sciences auspices:

        1. All presentations/demonstrations must be documented and supported by appropriate research and documentation, consistent with that expected for any other A&S entry.
        2. All presentations must be at NO MORE THAN half speed, and fully choreographed.
        3. Under these concepts, rebated steel is acceptable.
        4. Under these concepts, no requirements will be made for safety equipment. You may use whatever safety equipment you feel is necessary, so long as your appearance is appropriate to the period and does not detract from the period appearance.
        5. For performance or demonstrations, a delineated "stage" area will be required with a minimum 10-foot distance between the performers and the judges and audience.
        6. In the context of a class: (a) Demonstrations will be choreographed and at NO MORE THAN half speed. (b) Hands-on classes that include defined one-on-one parry drills, katas, or other defined moves and responses, may be taught to class participants, although they must also remain at NO MORE THAN half speed. Free-form sparring is not allowed.
        7. At this time, only single handed swords and knives or daggers would be allowed. Down the line, if things go well, we may consider opening this up to things like spears, polearms, and certain mass weapons, but not at the beginning. This would not in any way preclude the use of shields or defensive weapons. Neither would this preclude "florentine" fighting styles, if they are documentable.
        8. At this time, no more than two participants may interact at a time. That is, for a staged fight scene, it would have to be one on one, not a melee. In class settings or in period combat style Presentations/demonstrations, it would again have to be one on one, not a melee, not unit tactics, etc.

This is the exact issue we are discussing right now. It seems this is exactly what Scott & James have been talking about with the Fiore demonstration, currently under review for the BOD. This is more than our local level, it seems people across the society wish to study "period" techniques and then show others - which would put this under A&S.   The same idea can be said for weaving, dying of cloth, and any other A&S activity.

I for one, have taken 3 or 4 Fiore classes, and fully believe they need to fall under the A&S guidelines, there is no combat involved, just techniques!

Just a little more info and my opinion based on my own experience!

Kat