[Ponte Alto] Fwd: [storvik] Changes at the Storvik Fighter Practice

abelofregnesfolc at aol.com abelofregnesfolc at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 14:38:36 PDT 2005

Thought some of you may be interested.

-----Original Message-----
From: William Stanton <wstanton at bellatlantic.net>
To: Roxbury Mill <Roxbury-Mill at atlantia.sca.org>; Storvik
<storvik at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:14:01 -0400
Subject: [storvik] Changes at the Storvik Fighter Practice

Changes at the Storvik Fighter Practice:

We will have the site, Saint Andrew?s Episcopal Church, until 10:30
p.m. instead of 9:30 and we will follow the same rule of thumb we have
been following. If you can get out of your armor in 10 minutes then
fight until 10:20. If it takes you longer to get out of armor and clean
up then stop fighting earlier so that we can leave the site and lock
the doors on time. If you have been reluctant to come to the Storvik
practice because you could not get there before 8 p.m. or so, you can
now come out and still get a good 2-hour practice in.

We have a grassy area that we can use for melee now and we will be
doing much more melee depending on interest and turn out. Recently we
have been seeing 20 to 30 fighters at practice and have had plenty of
interest. Now we have a better area to do melee. The grassy area is not
near the streetlights or parking lot lights so we will have to stop
melee practice once the lack of daylight makes it unsafe.

We have use of the gravel area next to the parking lot for parking and
want to use this for vehicle parking and then use the ten parking
spaces on the west side of the parking lot we fight in for more
fighting. We would like people coming to practice to not park in these
spaces to allow us to use them for fighting. The gravel parking is
adjacent to the fighting parking lot and the grassy melee field.
Additional parking is only 30 yards or so to the east.

We are no longer able to store loaner armor at the site so please make
arrangements before Monday night to get anything you might need. The
Barony has a good amount of loaner armor for heavy fighters that is
split between the Baron's house and the Knight Marshal's house. Please
make arrangements to pick up any armor that you might need from:

Baron Sean de la Mare

(MKA) John Dollymore

4710 Tecumseh Street

College Park, MD 20740

(301) 982-2060

(no calls after 9pm)

baron<at>storvik.atlantia.sca.org

Or

Lord William the Younger

(MKA) William Stanton

2933 Craiglawn Road

Silver Spring, MD 20904

(301) 586-8073

knightmarshal<at>storvik.atlantia.sca.org

Our rent has gone up substantially and as a result we will not be
having practice on nights that we already know will have poor or
non-existent attendance. We will not have to pay rent when we cancel
practice far enough ahead of time. Since Pennsic will be taking
virtually all of the fighters we will not be having practice the Monday
of War Week 8/15/05. We will however be having practice the previous
Monday, Land Grab Week. We also will not be having practice the day
after Pennsic, 8/22/05, as everyone that went to Pennsic will most
likely still be unpacking.

8/8/05

Practice

8/15/05

No Practice

8/22/05

No Practice

We still have a wonderful air-conditioned indoor site for practice
(heated in the winter). Since we can practice rain or shine we
encourage everyone to come prepared to fight in gym shoes so that in
case we do have to move inside due to rain everyone can fight without
fear of marking the church floors. You are also welcome to fight
indoors if the heat is unbearable, but I was reminded a couple of weeks
ago that Pennsic is not air-conditioned, so if you want to practice for
Pennsic, then practice outside if you can.

Since we will be asking for donations to off set our higher rent a
little more often then we have been hawking donations in the past, we
encourage fighters that regularly attend to make their donations once a
month or once a quarter and do so by check thus allowing the donation
to be tax deductible with the check as the receipt. Receipts for tax
purposes for cash donations will be provided upon request.