[Ponte Alto] Performances at the Performer's and Dance Symposium

Barbara barb at ravenstreet.org
Tue Feb 8 13:22:47 PST 2005

February 15 and The Performer's and Dance Symposium is fast approaching!  It
looks like it is going to be a great time with lots of opportunity to learn,
teach, dance, and perform.  Time to reserve!  More info is at:
http://pontealto.atlantia.sca.org/symposium.php

And, while you're looking at that, consider the evening's activities:  we
are hosting a "concert"!  It's a rare and wonderful opportunity in the SCA
to actually have a time and place to perform and not compete with other
activities.  The only activity these performances will compete with is
cleaning the kitchen - and even THAT will be in a different part of the
building.

I'm in charge of managing this concert, so if you would like to perform,
please contact me.  I already have a number of good performers on the
program.  I'd like point out a few things, however.

1) We're trying to pack as many different performances into the evening as
we can, and still leave time for dancing.  So I'm asking that soloists (or
small groups) to use 5 minutes or less.  Larger groups will probably need a
bit more than 5 minutes.

2)  Provide me with information on who and what is in the performance.
(performers, name of piece, composer if applicable, and any other
appropriate info.)  If we can, I'll print up a "program" ahead of time, so
you won't have to spend time providing introductions.  This could also help
those of us who have such trouble to connecting names to faces to
performances.

3) MY goal in providing this forum for performances is to educate that
"period is enjoyable" - so we are striving towards showcasing performance
arts that really are pre-1600.  We're not asking for documentation, but
please keep in mind what we are trying to accomplish.

4) Finally, be cognizant of the space we are in. The event is being held at
a church, and the concert is being held in the sanctuary of the church.
Consider keeping performances rated "PG" (or keep the really bawdy stuff in
other languages!) This particular congregation is pretty relaxed, but still
the question to ask yourself is "If a member of the church sees this
performance, could they be offended and get the SCA banned from using the
site again?"  If the answer could be yes, please consider changing your
program!

Feel free to forward this message to other appropriate lists!

Mistress Anne of Carthew