[Ponte Alto] Re: Ponte-Alto Digest, Vol 17, Issue 5

Isaac Rothstein s_selezen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 23:39:45 PDT 2004

Re:  On safety after dark.

I agree in theory with your comment about the necessity of courtesy in
the SCA "I often wish that we could require a courtesy class every two
years to maintain one's membership."  However, I'm sorry to say that I
believe the problem lies not within the bounds of SCA govern ship nor is
wholly the fault of those who choose not to participate.

To give you a little background, I am an occasional pay-n-play associate
here in Ponte Alto.  I have a fighter authorization card, but am not a
card carrying member of the society.  As an occasional fighter and part
time artisan I appreciate the opportunities that the society offers me
and the structure provided to pursue these pastimes.  Unfortunately
because of the extremely limited time I have to devote to what I must
consider "Hobbies" I have as yet not become a member, nor do I generally
attend but 1-2 events per year.

The issues of courtesy and chivalry, two of the most fundamental tenants
of the society charter, are issues that do not fall on deaf ears to
those of us who are outsiders.  In mundane terms, my personal ethics
demand considering the needs of others in every social action I take,
nor does this policy end with me.  I can vouch for a number of others
who share this outlook with me.

I do not presume to speak on behalf of all "Swampies" or "Freaks", but
one of the strengths of our community is a strong family bond and the
desire to protect our own.  Just like in the society, we "Swampies"
share our own common interests and personal loyalties and while our
fantasy is slightly askew from yours we too share the belief that
socially acceptable behavior must be maintained.  And on this note I CAN
speak for us all, Assault and Attempted Rape are two charges that will
not be tolerated either top-side or bottom.

As of now,  word of this travesty has gotten around our circles and many
of us will be taking steps to assure the safety of our female
camp-mates.  As Master-at-Arms for my camp, it is my personal duty to
protect the safety of my camp-mates.  As for the previous comment of

W. Richmond Beevers

"This individual should be hunted down and hounded out of the

Society.  If not a member, permanently banned!"

We are already making active efforts to identify this individual and
ostracize him from our social circles, as I gain more information I
shall make it available to the autocrat so as to punish this assailant
to the furthest extent of our ability.

My thanks to everyone for hearing me out on my heartfelt albeit
long-winded explanation.

Isaac "Selezen" Rothstein
"Swampy"

   1. Re: On safety after dark (Nicole Spaun)

Message: 1