[Ponte Alto] Ponte Alto's Race

M.Brett ragsdale at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 14 17:05:43 PST 2004

Greetings everyone!
I hope that those who came to DatR had fun and got home safe, and that
those who could not attend had a good day anyway!

At the request of her Excellency, I'm posting here the sestina I wrote
for the Bardic Competition, at the event.

YiS,

Lady Ana Bek

A Race in Ponte Alto

It being autumn in Altantia,
and peaceful people seeking cheer,
the Barony Ponte Alto held a race,
inviting every rider and his steed
to come and show their prowess on the track,
and all to come enjoy a festive day.

Bright shone the sun on the appointed day.
Folk traveled there from all Atlantia.
Her HIghness led a parade upon the track,
and from the crowd there rose a mighty cheer
as every rider waved from top his steed
processing in for to begin the race.

The crowd watched as race came after race,
passing quickly as passed the day.
Every rider urged on his noble steed,
to win the race, win glory in Atlantia.
The gathered people raised up a cheer
each time the horses passsed by on the track.

At last it came to two upon the track,
time had come for a semi-final race.
the sight of these competitors gave all cheer;
dressed find in gold and green upon that day,
Conor and Seamus raced there in Atlantia,
each noble man upon a fine, strong, steed.

The trupmets cried, forward surged the steeds,
but joy turned quick to fear upon the track.
For Conor's charger, a fine horse of Atlantia,
stumbled and fell while bounding in the race.
Nervously watched those gathered on that day,
a silent crowd, lost all thoughts of cheer.

Then from the crowd there came a sudden cheer!
Beside Conor did Seamus halt his steed.
Chivalry was in bloom that autumn day,
as two men on one horse circled the track,
and Conor, riding first, thus won the race.
Truly the finest race e'er held in Atlantia!

For courtesy this day then raise a cheer,
shown in Atlantia by noble men and steeds,
upon the track in Ponte Alto's race.