[Ponte Alto] PENNSIC Baronial Encampment News

Irwin dwatsonirwin at cox.net
Thu Mar 4 10:33:56 PST 2004

Greetings from the new somewhat befuddled Land Agent for Pennsic, Perronelle
la peintre,

The preachy stuff:

We are now officially registered as a group for Pennsic 33.
Our group name is:  Barony of Ponte Alto

The Pennsic Homepage is:
http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn33/index.html

If you plan on camping with the Barony please use this name when you
register for Pennsic. Do not use THE Barony of Ponte Alto. You will not be
placed with us and will cause confusion and a possible loss of land
allotment. If you register online there will be a drop down menu where you
can select Barony of Ponte Alto. When you do register you MUST send me the
registration numbers of everyone, including ghosts, in your encampment.

If you plan on camping with the Barony, please register by June 1st. Land
allotment is calculated from the people registered by then. Although we
would try, there may not be enough space to accommodate you if you do not
pre-register. If your plans are still uncertain as of June 1, refunds are
available until July 31st minus a handling fee of $10.

Pennsic Pre-Registration Page:
http://www.cooperslake.com/prereg33.htm

>From a show of hands at the last Board Meeting we already have 26 campers.

We will be camping with the Barony of Stierbach again. There was some
confusion on this issue earlier in the year. The new Baron and Baroness,
Colum and Briana will be with us. Their land agent is Justinus. I will be meeting with him to co-ordinate our campsites.

Block N18, where we have been the last two years, is our first choice.
Second choice is N14, followed by N16 and N05. N14 and N16 are close to N18.
N05 is the block with Atlantian Royal right along the Interstate. Hopefully
we can stay in N18.

Pennsic Maps:
http://land.pennsicwar.org/maps/

At the Baronial meeting in January we agreed on a  common land set aside of
75 sq. ft. per person.
This is a reduction from last year's amount, which was 100 sq. ft per
person. When you pre-register each person is allotted 250 sq.ft. of  land.
75 sq. ft/person is deducted from that area in order to provide for common
area, walkways, showers, fire pit, and vehicle access, etc.

Computing the footprint of your camping area:

The dimensions of your tent:
If ropes are needed to stake your tent please add 6 feet to the length and 6
feet to the width.
Ex. a 10 by 10 tent with ropes will have a final footprint of 16 by 16.
This amount is required in order to meet fire safety regulations.

If you have a separate dining fly:
Please include that dimension plus room for ropes if applicable, Per Pennsic
fire regulations: "All tents must be 3 feet apart fabric to fabric, with no
ropes touching."  If your dining canopy and tent have no ropes they must
still be three feet apart. You need to include this area in your final
calculations

If you have an attached dining fly, include the amount that it projects from
your tent in the measurement for that side of your tent.

Add all these numbers together for your total square footage.  ________ sq.
ft.

Number of persons pre-registered x 250/person =

Minus Common area set asides @ 75/person =

Minus encampment area =

Total

need to register another person in order to have enough land allotted for your
encampment. According to Pennsic regulations you may not register a
"ghost" child since children are charged less. You may register a ghost adult
and pay that fee in order to get enough land for your encampment. You can
also "share" a  registration with other campers to meet that goal

***** An amendment to the above paragraph.
At the February board meeting we discussed this issue. It appears that there
may be enough people "camping" at hotels who are registering with the Barony
to provide enough land for any overages. It was discussed but not voted on
that if we need to add registrations in order to have enough space that this
cost could be added to camp fees.

If you are planning to stay in a hotel, please consider registering with the
Barony of Ponte Alto as your site. No matter where you stay you are allotted
250 square feet of Land at Pennsic for pre-registering

In order to make our camp comfortable there are some camp fees. This is to
cover expenses such as firewood, propane for the shower, hose, water filters etc. We strive
to keep this as low as possible.

At the Baronial meeting in January, the members agreed to have the Barony
fund durable goods for Pennsic such as cost of the shower enclosure, water filtration system, sink for washing up,
as these could be used at other events. At the February board meeting $100
was approved to cover the costs of the water filtration system. Costs for
building the shower enclosure are being donated.

Improving our camp at Pennsic is a goal of mine. As Land Agent, I would
like our Baronial Encampment to be a welcome and comfortable place for our
fellow Pontoons, Atlantians and our friends and neighbors at Pennsic.
Currently there is an emerging Pennsic Committee forming. I hope to schedule
a short meeting in March to discuss our plans and get comments and
suggestions. If you would like to help out with the planning just let me know. Many hands
make light work!

Lady Cassandra and I are working on updating the website Irene created last year. I will post that website as soon as it becomes available.

If there are any questions, comments or suggestions please feel free to
contact me. I will do my best to help you.  I need and want your input,
support and understanding.

YIS,

Perronelle la peintre
mka Debbie Irwin